Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2015, 08:26:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2015, 08:12:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2015, 04:16:59 PM
First episode of the last kingdom - I feared the worst. They have rather killed it. The battles arent just small,they're nonsensical. Some comments are historically wrong (eg we used to rule from tweed to tyne! Err... thats modern Northumberland; not old bernicia, Cornwall is England,  etc...). Also everyone is posh. Such a shame.  I was at least hope for a Sharpesque cheap and cheerful piece

That's too bad. The books are very good, for genre fiction.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Every bit of a fiction can be defined by a genre, there is no mythically pristine literary fiction that sits on a pedestal above as Minskyesque snobs would have us believe.

Correct.  It does not sit on a pedestal above.  It floats above in mid-air in defiance of all physical laws, by virtue of its ineffable qualities. 

While alt-history lies deep in pig swill.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Genre art is a definite thing. Some works transcend genre, like Frans G. Bengtsson's novel The Long Ships, and Ingrid Mouth's work for Kink.Com. But so many works do not. Hence "genre [artform]".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

The Brain

My pants are a gas factory.

Valmy

Is that a Death Star? Did they build another damn Death Star?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2015, 12:42:55 PM

Looks like it might be a different type of TIE fighter, but if they did another Death Star, I wouldn't be surprised.  JJ Abrams isn't exactly a font of new ideas.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2015, 12:42:55 PM

Third time's the charm? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, Luke's not on the poster ... ?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Maybe he's the guy in the mask.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

IFC has got the first 8 Star Trek movies showing in the next week. I have them all recording.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2015, 01:15:11 PM
Maybe he's the guy in the mask.  :ph34r:

Or the X-Wing suit...though its not obvious like Han/Leia.

Josquius

Yeah, I think Luke is the pilot, he does seem a bit chubby.

Terminator Genysis-  The first half of this film is the best thing ever. Just brilliant. When they jump to the future then it devolves into rather dull action flick fair, but overall decent.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Caught snips of the Steven Hawking movie.  I like the buck toothed hottie that plays his wife.

Movie was kind of dull.  Also, i seriously couldn't understand a damn word the actor was saying.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2015, 03:53:34 PM
Caught snips of the Steven Hawking movie.  I like the buck toothed hottie that plays his wife.

Movie was kind of dull. 

OK Tim. I'm sure they should have Bayed it up for you. :rolleyes: