News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on August 31, 2015, 12:54:21 PM
One question about the Toko-Ri movie, did the North Koreans not take POWs? [spoiler]The ending of the movie shows the main character being killed by the Popular Army after he's downed during the bombing run and a rescue attempt is botched. Is that historical or just "evil commies" propaganda?[/spoiler]

I know there was a prisoner exchange after the truce.  I've never read or heard anything about summary execution of POWs by the bad guys.

celedhring

I did some research. Since the movie was shot while the war was still being fought, it was thought the aviators the characters are based on were indeed killed in action. However, after the war it was found out that they had been taken prisoner by the North Koreans.

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 31, 2015, 10:13:02 AM
I'm kinda liking Fear of the Walking Dead, starting a bit slower than I expected in the action department it makes sense. Something tells me it will speed up real soon.

Yeah, they have to work to overcome that "we all know what is coming, so get on with it already" stigma.  I think, though, mostly in this last episode, that they are doing a good job portraying the build-up to the apocalypse...especially that society-won't-really-see-it-coming-until-it's-too-late feel.

Eddie Teach

So, Hannibal's over.

I did like it, but I think I might have liked it more if they'd kept faithful to the parts of the story mentioned in the book.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2015, 12:25:40 AM
So, Hannibal's over.

I did like it, but I think I might have liked it more if they'd kept faithful to the parts of the story mentioned in the book.

I found it tough to watch--it was weird for the sake of it and gave up two eps. in this season. I do have it all on my PVR so may binge watch some snow day.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Tomorrowland (2015)

Europe's hottest music festival comes to the big screen.  George Clooney and Britt Robertson load up on drugs and hit the road for Belgium in what promises to be the party of a lifetime.

Just kidding, this is actually a Disney movie based loosely based on the theme park Tomorrowland.  It's hard for me to hate on a film that portrays science and technology in a positive light; but the elitism (a utopia populated by "Exceptional people"), product placement (Coca-Cola is the antidote for trans-dimensional travel) and technobabble (Tachyons!) are a bit much.  The scenes with 12 year old  Raffey Cassidy as a perfectly poised android are exceptional; but otherwise the story wanders and isn't all that interesting.  If you can turn your brain off and enjoy the explosions and martial arts it's okay. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 31, 2015, 11:25:58 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on August 31, 2015, 10:13:02 AM
I'm kinda liking Fear of the Walking Dead, starting a bit slower than I expected in the action department it makes sense. Something tells me it will speed up real soon.

Yeah, they have to work to overcome that "we all know what is coming, so get on with it already" stigma.  I think, though, mostly in this last episode, that they are doing a good job portraying the build-up to the apocalypse...especially that society-won't-really-see-it-coming-until-it's-too-late feel.

I find it interesting that we are watching a show where we the viewers know what is going on while the characters in the show do not.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Started watching Escobar: Paradise lost

A young Canadian surfer and his brother set up shop along a beach to sell beverages and surf lessons.  The surfer falls in love with Escobar's niece.  At the time, he's a politician, and not widely known outside the country for the drug baron he is.

Benicio del Toro plays Escobar, and there's something great in his play, I can't point exacly what, but it has to do with the way he orders people killed, simply taking note on his hands, or giving instructions on the same tone he gives directions to where to go with the truck he's driving.

I think that is the main point, if not the only redeeming quality of the movie, Del Toro's play.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Platoon Leader. A Cannon 'Nam flick starring Michael Dudikoff. He plays a West Point grad that gets his first command leading a platoon. A lot of 'Nam things happen and he earns the respect of his squad.

The movie's is unsurprisingly bad, but not in a cheesy/enjoyable way.

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 23, 2015, 11:56:35 AM
The Blue Angel. Like a lot of really old movies, this one is kind of schizophrenic. The first half was light-hearted and funny, the second half was depressing. Individually, they were both well done, but the transition is rather jarring.

Did you see the English version or the German?  (They were shot simultaneously, as was the practice at the beginning of the sound era.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

It was German with English subtitles.

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2015, 03:36:09 PM
It was German with English subtitles.

That's much better known; the English version was rediscovered only about five years ago.  They're nearly identical, with the same actors playing the same roles.

Eddie Teach

Admiral Yi

Canadian hotel TV is unwatchable.  I feel like the dude from Werewolf in London every time I flip the set on.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on August 28, 2015, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2015, 03:42:00 PM
Judge Dredd on the telly  :w00t:

It's the Stallone one   :cry:

:huh: is the new one worth seeing?
It's incredible
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point