News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I been watching "Falling Skies" off Amazon Prime.  Almost finished the second season.  It's really losing my interest, though.  The series is lazy, and the focus on the world's most baddass family (minus mom), is getting dull.

Things I notice:

Despite lack of running water and constantly living on the run, all the women except one have access to a stylist.

If 90% of the population were killed you'd think people would find more dead bodies lying around.

Early on they discovered how to make "mech" bullets, which are made of metal that has can pierce alien robot armor  but has such a low melting point that it can melted down over a bunsen burner.

The Aliens come in several types.  The most common are big robots and ugly little foot soldiers who have six legs.  The ones with six legs are never given guns.  That seems like a major oversight.

The Aliens have very limited air support.  The heroes drive a convoy 500 miles to some other town and they aren't immediately hit by bombs from the sky.  In fact, they are never hit by bombs from the sky.  The aliens do know where they people are, since they chase the convoy most of the way.

They give guns to 9 year boys but rarely to people over the age of 40.

You'd think they would run into more humans even if they wiped out 90% of the population in the beginning.

How do they know that 90% of the population was wiped out?

They raid a lot of armories to get weapons, but oddly a lot of it is soviet made.

The aliens have robots, but for some reason feel the need to have slaves.

They claim to be part of a regiment, the 2nd Mass, but only had 100 fighters from the very beginning and were only commanded by a captain.  There is never a 1st. Mass

Despite living in an apocalyptic alien infested world someone mows the lawn for most of the houses.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Good report and exactly why I didn't even finnish the first season. I was expecting better.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

No dead people- they explain it with neutron bombs. After herding them together usually.

But yes. The show... It started quite decently. But then totally changed direction for the second series. Still ok.... But totally changed again for the next series!
Every series they throw away most of what they were doing in the last and try and do something very different. With little in the way of bridging in between.
I have lost interest
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Yeah, at some point it seemed they were aiming for Walking Dead with aliens, which would've been cool, but as Raz pointed out the whole world is so pathetically implausible you end up don't giving a damn.

Syt

Moonrise Kingdom

During watching I realized that I was watching it to the day 50 years after the supposed events of that movie. Which might make you think I'm an obsessive Wes Anderson fanboy. However, this was the first movie of his that I watched. It was fun and very sweet. 7.5/10

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Starts out really funny, subverting all kinds of horror movie tropes. About half way through it switches to adhering to horror clichés, and it becomes decidedly "meh." Alan Tudyk is great as always. 6.5/10.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2015, 11:46:38 PM
I been watching "Falling Skies" off Amazon Prime.  Almost finished the second season.  It's really losing my interest, though.  The series is lazy, and the focus on the world's most baddass family (minus mom), is getting dull.

Things I notice:

Despite lack of running water and constantly living on the run, all the women except one have access to a stylist.

If 90% of the population were killed you'd think people would find more dead bodies lying around.

Early on they discovered how to make "mech" bullets, which are made of metal that has can pierce alien robot armor  but has such a low melting point that it can melted down over a bunsen burner.

The Aliens come in several types.  The most common are big robots and ugly little foot soldiers who have six legs.  The ones with six legs are never given guns.  That seems like a major oversight.

The Aliens have very limited air support.  The heroes drive a convoy 500 miles to some other town and they aren't immediately hit by bombs from the sky.  In fact, they are never hit by bombs from the sky.  The aliens do know where they people are, since they chase the convoy most of the way.

They give guns to 9 year boys but rarely to people over the age of 40.

You'd think they would run into more humans even if they wiped out 90% of the population in the beginning.

How do they know that 90% of the population was wiped out?

They raid a lot of armories to get weapons, but oddly a lot of it is soviet made.

The aliens have robots, but for some reason feel the need to have slaves.

They claim to be part of a regiment, the 2nd Mass, but only had 100 fighters from the very beginning and were only commanded by a captain.  There is never a 1st. Mass

Despite living in an apocalyptic alien infested world someone mows the lawn for most of the houses.

Good and accurate review. I found it so incredibly bad I could not stop watching, hoping that Tom Mason at some point would get a bullet through the head. But no. :(

Josephus

Hearing good things about Empire. What's the vote here, on Languish?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2015, 03:10:51 AM
Yeah, at some point it seemed they were aiming for Walking Dead with aliens, which would've been cool, but as Raz pointed out the whole world is so pathetically implausible you end up don't giving a damn.

Well at least they copied the notion that a very dedicated lawn mower survived.

Norgy

The lesson: People who mow their lawns will survive TEH APOCALYSPE!11

People who don't end up as willing alien helpers or fodder for the undead.

celedhring

Focus. Fun harmless con movie. Not the best, not the worst. Plus, Margot  :wub:

EDIT: great soundtrack, btw.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on September 05, 2015, 07:47:59 AM
Hearing good things about Empire. What's the vote here, on Languish?

Great soap opera.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Scorpion King IV.
With Ellen Hollman (Spartacus) and Viktor Webster (every Canadian tv show for the last 20 years).

I was expecting a bad movie, and it was worst than I thought.  Elle Hollman got to show off her Spartacus training a couple of times, but that's about it.  It tries to be funny, à la Hercules, and fails, and there's zero drama in this.

While I'm in a mood for the worst of Hollywood, I'll try to watch Jupite Ascending tonight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

The Great Outdoors.
Because it is the last weekend of the Summer.
PDH!

Ideologue

Apocalypto.  9/10.  I wish Mel Gibson were stable. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Been watching Sons of Anarchy. Not too bad.

Was very sad when Aryan nation guy's daughter was killed though. She was crazy hot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned