News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I don't see how that concussion flick can be anything but a snoozer.  Sounds like a Hallmark Special Presentation.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2015, 06:30:33 PM
I don't see how that concussion flick can be anything but a snoozer.  Sounds like a Hallmark Special Presentation.

Could be ok: The Insider's pretty good, for example.  I doubt Concussion is anything like that tho except in vague outline.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on September 02, 2015, 09:25:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2015, 06:30:33 PM

Could be ok: The Insider's pretty good, for example.  I doubt Concussion is anything like that tho except in vague outline.

Yeah, my first thought was The Insider, which is very good. The trailer looks pretty uninspiring though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6hPdC41RM

celedhring

No Country For Old Men - Love the film, but [spoiler]I still feel robbed by the way Moss' death happens off-camera, after the film spends so much time getting you invested in his survival[/spoiler]. Too many old coots telling vaguely metaphorical stories, too.

celedhring

Flipping through the bottom feeder channels I have just stumbled upon "Das Boot 2". I had no idea this even existed. I'm gonna watch and see how much it sucks.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 04, 2015, 08:48:49 AM
Flipping through the bottom feeder channels I have just stumbled upon "Das Boot 2". I had no idea this even existed. I'm gonna watch and see how much it sucks.

Das Boot 2 - Diesel Boogaloo?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Looked it up, it's actually an unrelated shitty U-boat German flick that was distributed over here as "Das Boot 2".

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on September 03, 2015, 05:34:56 PM
No Country For Old Men - Love the film, but [spoiler]I still feel robbed by the way Moss' death happens off-camera, after the film spends so much time getting you invested in his survival[/spoiler].

[spoiler]That's the whole point of the story...[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2015, 12:40:12 PM
No Country For Old Men - Love the film, but [spoiler]I still feel robbed by the way Moss' death happens off-camera, after the film spends so much time getting you invested in his survival[/spoiler].

[spoiler]I don't mind him dying, I get that is the point. I mind not seeing it, it really feels like a cop out.[/spoiler] That said, I just read up on the novel and it's done that way in there, so I can understand the Coens respecting that.

Berkut

I just thought it was kind of confusing the first time I watched - I wondered if somehow I missed a scene or something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2015, 01:21:38 PM
I just thought it was kind of confusing the first time I watched - I wondered if somehow I missed a scene or something.

Yeah...then I liked it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on September 04, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

[spoiler]I don't mind him dying, I get that is the point. I mind not seeing it, it really feels like a cop out.[/spoiler] That said, I just read up on the novel and it's done that way in there, so I can understand the Coens respecting that.

[spoiler]No, I mean not seeing it is the whole point.  The world has passed the Sheriff by and the anti-climax of his missing out on the big showdown is the representation of that.  Later on, as well, when he hesitates to enter the room the killer is in, is the final show that he's done with this work, that the world should be left to overs.  He says it earlier in the film--he no longer has the will to 'put the chips in' and take the risks he needs to catch the criminals that this new generation has produced.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

That's fine, but up to that point the movie wasn't about that. [spoiler]It was about Moss' futile escape. The PoV is firmly on him, he's clearly the protagonist, and we are robbed of the culmination of that and switch abruptly to Jones' sheriff[/spoiler]. I can see the intellectual/formal point being made ("no closure for you! This scary world has no closure!"), but it felt unfulfilling to me.

celedhring

The Queen - a glorified telemovie, and not particularly poignant one. Very cold and formal, despite being an attempt to show the domestic side of the royals. However, all the acting talent is top notch. Besides Mirren, who's certainly great, I loved Michael Sheen as Blair, and I like seeing James Cromwell in almost anything.

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2015, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 04, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

[spoiler]No, I mean not seeing it is the whole point.  The world has passed the Sheriff by and the anti-climax of his missing out on the big showdown is the representation of that.  Later on, as well, when he hesitates to enter the room the killer is in, is the final show that he's done with this work, that the world should be left to overs.  He says it earlier in the film--he no longer has the will to 'put the chips in' and take the risks he needs to catch the criminals that this new generation has produced.[/spoiler]

Overs?