News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2015, 02:26:22 PM
Star Trek: Insurrection on the telly tonight. It's the only Star Trek movie I have never seen. Yay or nay? Otherwise I will fire up some BR.

Yea.

But, nay.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Ended up watching a Catalan fantasy flick a friend of mine worked in. It is: boring. Good ideas, soso execution.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2015, 04:02:40 PM
Did you make it through Nemesis?  Final Frontier?

Sat through Final Frontier. :bleeding:

I made a mistake.  Nemesis is the one I've not gotten through.  Insurrection I think I've never even started watching.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2015, 04:37:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2015, 04:02:40 PM
Did you make it through Nemesis?  Final Frontier?

Sat through Final Frontier. :bleeding:

I made a mistake.  Nemesis is the one I've not gotten through.  Insurrection I think I've never even started watching.

Can't blame you for not making it through Nemesis. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 21, 2015, 02:26:22 PM
Star Trek: Insurrection on the telly tonight. It's the only Star Trek movie I have never seen. Yay or nay? Otherwise I will fire up some BR.

If you watch it, watch SF Debris' review afterwards. He focuses strongly on the [spoiler]"We won't resettle a few hundred space elves to save hundreds of thousands of lives" idiocy of the plot.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

French Connection

Brushing up my  classics. Even Fernando Rey passing as French goes unnoticed after a while. :)

DCP screening, image approved by the cinematographer. The "let's recolour it with pastel crayons" image, thanks to Friedkin, is now only available on the first blu-ray edition. For more information, see Ide's 1,200 word piece on colour timing and cinematography changes.  :P

Scipio

Nemesis was just fucking gross.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

The Last Leg: Funniest thing on TV?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Went to visit my parents today. My mother loves Disney movies so I bought her the new Cinderella flick in BR. I'm aware I'm not the target audience, but it's still pretty damn dull. The original tale doesn't really have enough story to fill 100+ minutes, so a lot of parts are stretched out to pretty tiresome levels.

Admiral Yi

Does she already have The Jungle Book?

celedhring

The classic one? Yeah, she does.

Incidentally, my mother spent more time talking about the movies' dresses than anything else. Art direction is admittedly great, though.

celedhring

Also, stepmothers get way too much bad rap in western culture, I know a few lovely ones.

Eddie Teach

Shanghai Express. Bandits hold up a train; lost love rekindled. Stars Marlene Dietrich. Not bad.
Nymphomaniac Volume 2. While I enjoyed (with reservations) most of both halves of this movie, the ending kind of ruins it for me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Diplomacy

Someone else mentioned this earlier. Basically a two-man movie, the Swedish consul in Paris tries to convince German militiary governor of Paris not to destroy the city as the allies approach. Quite well done, even if you know the ending. (spoiler: paris is saved)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

The Blue Angel. Like a lot of really old movies, this one is kind of schizophrenic. The first half was light-hearted and funny, the second half was depressing. Individually, they were both well done, but the transition is rather jarring.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?