News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 26, 2015, 04:55:40 AM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Bah. [spoiler]It's the kind of movie that makes you think they'll pull something out in the end(asteroid just misses) but then it doesn't.[/spoiler]

I liked it a lot.

[spoiler]The fact that there was never any hope of a Hollywood ending is what made the movie great.  Without that the character study is lost[/spoiler]

Josquius

I keep watching DS9.
A few times now something has been made of Kira being hot... Which.... Doesn't seen to match what I see. She's not awful for an older lady but... Yeah
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2015, 04:33:30 AM
I keep watching DS9.
A few times now something has been made of Kira being hot... Which.... Doesn't seen to match what I see. She's not awful for an older lady but... Yeah

When you're on a space station with a bunch of Ferengi, your standards may drop a tad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Watched the CBGB movie.  Were OK, not much more.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2015, 04:33:30 AM
I keep watching DS9.

yeah, thought the Klingon chick was hotter.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

What Klingon chick?  :huh:

The actress who played Jadzia Dax was hotter, but the symbiote thing kinda creeps me out.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2015, 07:11:53 PM
I liked it a lot.

[spoiler]The fact that there was never any hope of a Hollywood ending is what made the movie great.  Without that the character study is lost[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Nah, it's the fact the characters have no hope of a Hollywood ending. The audience is treated to a quirky tale with lots of highly improbable events- the kind that usually ends with the day being saved. Besides, the romance itself is a Hollywood ending.[/spoiler]

Anyway, it's not such a great character study. The characters are pretty much defined by which of the handful of possibilities they react to the asteroid- denial, hedonism, suicide, or the grand quest the main characters embark on.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2015, 09:20:29 AM
I think he talks of Voyager, B'Ellana Torres.

QuoteThe actress who played Jadzia Dax was hotter, but the symbiote thing kinda creeps me out.
well, never knowing if your girlfriend will suddenly become your boyfriend, that sure is creepy.  On the other hand, as you both age, she gets all of her memories and experiences transferred to a newer, hotter body.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

The actress who played Jadzia Dax was hotter, but the symbiote thing kinda creeps me out.

Yes her. Yeah forgot about the symbiote thing...been a long time since I seen the show...but what the hell, beggars can't be chosers.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I guess it's a cultural difference.  I never made the assumption you made.  There were plenty of hints your assumption was not going to happen.

Also, the whole movie was about how different characters act under those circumstances.  You seem to have wanted a different kind of movie.

celedhring

Not an issue here, have had weirder shags than her.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2015, 09:56:09 AM

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I think movies that are dark should also be serious. I rather liked Melancholia, for example.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2015, 09:56:09 AM

Okay, now I'm curious.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius