News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2015, 09:33:43 AM
I hope this means you're buddies with Shane Black. Or Zak Penn at least.

Nope.

Eddie Teach

The Prisoner of Zenda(1937)- fun movie
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia- meh
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

"Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins"

Caught this on TCM (probably the only reason I have cable TV anymore) not long ago.  Not a bad 70's-era road movie.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2015, 03:44:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2015, 03:38:26 AM
Kidding. The movie you're talking about is "A Million Ways to Die in the West".

Close enough for government work.

No friggin' way, one is a classic Leone spaghetti western with Claudia Cardinale at her yummiest, the other is a lame Seth McFarlane "comedy".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on August 25, 2015, 09:14:03 AM
No friggin' way, one is a classic Leone spaghetti western with Claudia Cardinale at her yummiest, the other is a lame Seth McFarlane "comedy".

While the overall sentiment is right, citing eye candy in support is highly problematic, as the other film has Charlize Theron(who balances the scale by herself), Amanda Seyfried and Sarah Silverman.

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2015, 09:20:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 25, 2015, 09:14:03 AM

While the overall sentiment is right, citing eye candy in support is highly problematic, as the other film has Charlize Theron(who balances the scale by herself), Amanda Seyfried and Sarah Silverman.

Cardinale's character is also a compelling one. :P

But seriously...

Eddie Teach

Badlands. Like Natural Born Killers, except good.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2015, 11:21:51 AM
So Dawn of the Walking Dead got off to a good start. Intense, fast-paced.
Yes, I was expecting a few episodes plodding about and showing the characters in their normal life, but they're getting right into the outbreak.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

It also inspired one of the best Springsteen songs ("Nebraska", not the eponymous "Badlands")

Admiral Yi

Just watched "The Trip," movie about Steve Coogan and his actor buddy road tripping.  I thought it was going to be a lot funnier.  Watch only if you're pretty hard up.

Eddie Teach

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Bah. [spoiler]It's the kind of movie that makes you think they'll pull something out in the end(asteroid just misses) but then it doesn't.[/spoiler]

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2015, 01:09:18 AM
Just watched "The Trip," movie about Steve Coogan and his actor buddy road tripping.  I thought it was going to be a lot funnier.  Watch only if you're pretty hard up.

Don't know why they made a movie out of the TV series. My impression is that they had to cut some of the fun to fit the story into a movie. I still enjoy the movie mind you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

So binge-watched True Detective S. 2.

So am I in the minority here, if i say I actually preferred it to Season One?

Yes, it was very confusing. Yes, there was a lot of "Wait...how does that person fit into this" stuff. But all I remember really from S. 1 is  a lot of driving around in a car philosophizing at great length, and Woody wearing a Floyd tour shirt. I thought Season Two had more action, and was, by and large, more intersting.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2015, 09:00:07 AM
So binge-watched True Detective S. 2.

So am I in the minority here, if i say I actually preferred it to Season One?

Yes, it was very confusing. Yes, there was a lot of "Wait...how does that person fit into this" stuff. But all I remember really from S. 1 is  a lot of driving around in a car philosophizing at great length, and Woody wearing a Floyd tour shirt. I thought Season Two had more action, and was, by and large, more intersting.
I don't know if it's better than S1, but certainly on par with S1 overall.  I liked the plot better this time.
Professionnal critics who think the plot is too complex are morons and should stick to watch non Marvel superheroes flicks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.