News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Other movies I'd never heard before:

#134 Seven (not the Brad Pitt film) - having watched the trailer on YT this one looks a bit of a head-scratcher.
#178 Hellzapoppin'
#213 Songs from the second floor
#222 Mother and son
#224 Distant voices, still lives
#303 Together
#348 Au Hasard Balthazar - I always avoid anything Bresson
#360 The Return
#398 Killer of sheep
#427 Spring in a small town
#431 Electra Glide in Blue

The list has made me realize I should brush up on Jean Pierre Melville, by the way. I have only seen Bob Le Flambeur.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on August 18, 2015, 02:23:59 AM
Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2015, 11:18:35 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 17, 2015, 05:35:26 PM
Let's use the list in another way. Which is the highest ranking movie that you have not watched?

Mine is "Singin' in the rain" at #8.

#11 Raging Bull

Same as Liep!  :o I intend to watch it at a cinémathèque or art house though.

As for the highest ranking one I have never heard of, it's His Girl Friday #58. Nothing against Cary Grand and Howard Hawks though. I could have watched it during the last Hawks retrospective at the Cinémathèque I bet.

PS: other movies I have never heard of

#70 Stand by me
#87 The King of Comedy
#106 A man for all seasons
#108 The tree of Wooden Clogs
#112 Soy Cuba

celedhring

People that haven't watched Singing' in the Rain, Raging Bull or His Girl Friday. Go sort yourselves out!   :menace:

Raging Bull is a pretty hardcore drama, but it's impossible to not have a phenomenally good time watching the other two.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2015, 06:14:34 AM
People that haven't watched Singing' in the Rain, Raging Bull or His Girl Friday. Go sort yourselves out!   :menace:

Raging Bull is a pretty hardcore drama, but it's impossible to not have a phenomenally good time watching the other two.

Chillax, there's a Scorcese retrospective at the Cinémathèque this autumn. In the mean time, Electra Glide in Blue deserves to be watched. ;)

Ideologue

Haven't seen Raging Bull.  List is dumb anyway.

No Internet or job, so I've been catching up on stuff.

Cape Fear (198x), 9/10.  How De Palmian.

The Sting, 8/10.  I should probably watch that Butch and Sundance movie; only owned it for two years.

Lady from Shanghai, 7/10.  Legal farce comes close to sinking it, ending in hall of mirrors redeems.

Airport 1975, 6/10.  Chuck fucking Heston, darlings.

Kings of the Sun, 7/10.  Epic about a Mayan diaspora to Texas, or somewhere on the Gulf anyway.  Dramatic stakes change by the scene and the milquetoast Lily-white leads clash terribly with the Mesoamerican extras, but Yul Brynner, as plains Indian Black Eagle, is fantastic, there's some really nice photography, and the battle scenes are nice and full of real people jumping around.

Minority Report, 8/10.  I'm beginning to wonder if the tone issues of The Lost World are just "later Spielberg," because this had some pretty dumb gags in it for a movie that revolves around a child abduction, drug addiction, and the debate between freedom and security, as well as fate and freewill.

My Darling Clementine, 7/10.  Fun rendition of the Wyatt Earp story courtesy John Ford.

Speed, 9/10.  Gotta love Speed.

Royal Tenenbaums, 9/10.  Firmly ensconced in the list of "good Wes Anderson," not as funny nor as affecting as Rushmore, Life Aquatic, or Moonrise.  Is Grand Budapest better?  Hard to say.  They do somewhat different things.

Presently watching Broken Arrow.  What an opening!

The City of Pittsburgh, PA.  4/10.  It's fucking hot all the fucking time, even at night, but their technologically regressive society hasn't gotten to air conditioning yet.  Plus, it's hilly and murder to run in.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Watched the "I am Chris Farley" documentary a few days ago.  Did not know he had been in rehab as many as 17 times, and didn't realize so many things in Tommy Boy were from his own life. 

So funny, so sad :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

I watched some of the Walking Dead marathon this weekend. I've seen them all at least once, having watched a marathon a year or two ago to catch up. I didn't think I'd get into it but I did and watched a bunch of episodes. Now looking forward to Fear the Walking Dead. They had some five minute previews of during the marathon; looks good, makes for an interesting apocalypse.  :ph34r:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Larch on August 17, 2015, 05:35:26 PM
Let's use the list in another way. Which is the highest ranking movie that you have not watched?

#4 Shawshank Redemption

Actually, I have only seen five of the top ten.  :blush:

katmai

There is AC in Yinzerville silly Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

I've seen jaws (5?6?) but only when I was a kid.
I suppose i should watch it again now I can appreciate it.

Never seen signing in the rain that I can recall. I hate musicals no desire to see it.

Never seen raging bull or the apartment.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I'm looking forward to Dawn of the Walking Dead (which would have been a better title, IMO). I think there may be a lot less zombies in this, so some may be disappointed.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Yeah. Hope they get right down to it instead of taking a Caprica style slow and winding road
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2015, 02:22:29 PM
I'm looking forward to Dawn of the Walking Dead (which would have been a better title, IMO). I think there may be a lot less zombies in this, so some may be disappointed.

A real drama that just happens to be set in a zombie filled world could be amazing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Periodic reminder that The Americans is crazily good. Just catching up on the last season.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Speaking of crazy good, I can't believe I waited so long to watch Daredevil.  I see why the second season was authorized a mere 11 days after Netflix put the first one up.

I really like that the writers are avoiding many of the tired network drama tropes.  In particular, the scene where [spoiler]Wesley has kidnapped Karen and is trying to intimidate her into taking the heat off Fisk.  They do the whole "woman gets the bad's gun" thing, then she actually plugs him six times in the chest instead of doing the tired, stupid thing where she gets disarmed.[/spoiler]  My wife was yelling at the TV during that scene and couldn't believe they didn't play that weak trope.