News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Best of Youth (2003)

This was originally planned as a mini-series for Italian television, but had a theatrical release instead.  It's a six hour long extravaganza covering the lives of two brothers (and the turbulent events of Italy) from 1966 until 2003.  One of the brothers, Matteo, studies to become a professor of literature, but walks out of his qualifying exam and ends up first in the army and then in the police.  Matteo is driven by anger and depression and cannot connect to anyone.  His brother, Nicola, is the opposite, he qualifies for medical school and becomes a psychiatrist. 

Sometimes the story seems too contrived; Nicola's girlfriend, Giulia joins a Red Brigade Cell, Matteo is in the anti-terrorist wing and Nicola's and Matteo's best friend from their youth has become a potentate in the Bank of Italy, and Giulia's target.

The translation is a little strange at points.  Nicola's daughter says she is going to "Restoration School," and at first I wondered why Charles II was such a big deal in Italy.  (It turned out to be art restoration.)

It's not a bad film, if you have six hours to kill I recommend it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I am the superhero movie, look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

And this doesn't even include the Lego Batman flick, or the undated but confirmed standalone Batman flicks.

Valmy

Hollywood just does not know how to stop. Let's just milk this cow into oblivion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Well, the most recent Fantastic Four movie is already the year's biggest bomb, so hopefully it'll put a dent to some of the sub par productions in line.

Valmy

Maybe the goal is to make four fantastic four bombs. Two to go.

I mean I thought the Saturday morning cartoon was lame enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 13, 2015, 09:56:43 AM
Wwll, the most recent Fantastic Four movie is already the year's biggest bomb, so hopefully it'll put a dent to some of the sub par productions in line.

No problem. They are talking about replacing the FF4 sequel with a Deadpool sequel.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2015, 09:57:41 AM

:o

Also, I feel bad as I really like Fantastic Four but I haven't been able to try to watch a single one of the reportedly terrible films.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

The only thing I remember about the Saturday morning cartoon was an awful dub where they did not used the pretty well localised name for Dr. Doom, Fatalis. Instead, they pronounced Doom as Domm.  :lol:

Well the previous attempt had a sequel, and there's this unreleased film produced by Corman under the smallest budget in order to keep the rights and be able to resell them later at a higher prices.
So, mission accomplished!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109770

celedhring

In Spanish Doctor Doom is "Doctor Muerte" (Doctor Death) which is pretty badass imho.

They used a literal translation in some old cartoon ("Doctor Ruina") and it was pretty terrible.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2015, 10:51:59 AM
In Spanish Doctor Doom is "Doctor Muerte" (Doctor Death) which is pretty badass imho.

They used a literal translation in some old cartoon ("Doctor Ruina") and it was pretty terrible.

In Mexico City there was a shrine to "Saint Death" (Santa Muerte).

We were warned in the guidebook to stay well away from it, particularly at night.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

it was done by 20th Century Fox instead of Disney/Marvel.  Don't expect it to stop anytime soon.

I mean, how many western movies did we have in the 50s and 60s?  The best ones were made in Italy.  600 of them were made in Europe over 20 years.

The superheroes genre still has a few more good years before it's replaced by something else ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Watched a wee bit of "Good Night, and Good Luck," George Clooney-directed BW film about William R. Murrow's TV confrontation with Joe McCarthy.  The performances are fine and everything, but there's just not enough story there for a movie.

Admiral Yi

Sesame Street is moving to HBO. :o

Five year exclusive deal, holds the rights for 9 months.

Valmy

I am not sure I am ready for boobs on Sesame Street.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2015, 03:01:04 PM
Sesame Street is moving to HBO. :o

Five year exclusive deal, holds the rights for 9 months.

:o

Fraggle Rock was on HBO.  They should put in Travelling Matt as a recurring character.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock