And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2015, 09:01:29 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2015, 07:16:25 PM
It's only fucked up and nihilistic by western standards. Tons of anime and manga are just as brutal and nihilistic if not more since they use human characters.

It's more the disconnect between how the movie was marketed and its content. Originally released in England, it was (famously) given a "U for everyone" rating, and the promotional artwork tended to enhance the notion that this is, basically, a cute movie about bunnies for quite young kids to see.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/426927239651090150/

Dutifully, many people took their little kids to see it, causing (as I recall) a considerable amount of childhood trauma!  :D Parents, at least in North America, were not taking their kids to see 'adult' Anime (at the time at least, that was strictly an adult niche fandom thing).
Ah, but I meant was that in Japan a lot of stuff that westerners would consider for older teens or young adults is considered kids stuff in Japan and marketed accordingly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Hara-Kiri (modern version). I liked it, it's certainly better than 13 Assassins.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2015, 03:40:48 PM
Hara-Kiri (modern version). I liked it, it's certainly better than 13 Assassins.

I think it's the only Miike film I've ever seen, and it is, like, a 99.9% faithful remake of Kobayashi's original (without being as Japanese Golden Age-style formally austere and awesome), but still I enjoyed it despite not really understanding why it exists.

I guess the egg scene might justify it?  That was pretty great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

The Counselor. Jesus, that was dark.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Watching the last Daily Show episode. Perfect.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on August 06, 2015, 07:26:29 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2015, 03:40:48 PM

I think it's the only Miike film I've ever seen, and it is, like, a 99.9% faithful remake of Kobayashi's original (without being as Japanese Golden Age-style formally austere and awesome), but still I enjoyed it despite not really understanding why it exists.

I guess the egg scene might justify it?  That was pretty great.

It does suffer a bit from the "a movie has to be at least 2h" syndrome. No it doesn't, 90 minutes is fine for a movie.

Eddie Teach

Whiplash. Obsessive drumming student meets demanding band teacher. Hilarity ensues. Well, the part where he gets his car smashed up and then runs to get to his performance on time and plays with blood covering half his face is kinda funny, at least. Also, angry J.K. Simmons looks like a gargoyle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2015, 03:58:14 PM
Whiplash. Obsessive drumming student meets demanding band teacher. Hilarity ensues. Well, the part where he gets his car smashed up and then runs to get to his performance on time and plays with blood covering half his face is kinda funny, at least. Also, angry J.K. Simmons looks like a gargoyle.

Or Gollum in a roid rage.

The Brain

Pee-wee's Big Adventure. Hilarious.

Tonitrus

New series with Patrick Stewart.

Trailer likely NSFW. :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miYYipdtLs4

Ideologue

Cape Fear (1962).  Gross and gritty, Robert Mitchum isn't undermined in the last moments like he is in Night of the Hunter.  Still need to watch Scorsese's, but it's sitting on my washing machine.  7/10

Also, reviewed Mission: Impossible III (2006) finally.  8/10
Kinemalogue

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2015, 01:28:13 AM
New series with Patrick Stewart.

Trailer likely NSFW. :hmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miYYipdtLs4

I really liked Bored to Death so this might be good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

https://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-group-hits-indie-creators-for-using-the-word-pixels-150808/

QuoteANTI-PIRACY GROUP HITS INDIE CREATORS FOR USING THE WORD 'PIXELS'

An anti-piracy firm working for Columbia Pictures has hit Vimeo with a wave of bogus copyright takedowns just because people used the word 'Pixels' in their video titles. Several indie productions are affected, including an art-focused NGO, an award-winning short movie and a royalty free stock footage company.

Tens of millions of DMCA-style notices are sent to online services every week complaining about copyright infringement. While most are accurate, some contain errors.

Some take screwing up to a whole new level.

This week anti-piracy group Entura International sent a notice to Vimeo in what first appeared to be an effort to stop piracy of the Columbia movie 'Pixels'. Not only did it fail to do that in every way possible, it hit a number of indie creators and filmmakers instead.

Founded in November 2004, NeMe describes itself as a non-profit NGO and an 'Independent Museum of Contemporary Art'.

"Our NGO has just received a DMCA notice for a video we produced in 2006 entitled 'Pixels'," the group told Vimeo this week.

"The video was directed by a Cypriot film-maker using his own photos and sounds/music on a shoestring budget and infringes no copyright."

Sadly for NeMe, however, it has now been resigned to history.

But upsetting the NGO was just the tip of the iceberg. The notice goes on to hit an embarrassing array of entirely non-infringing works.

"Life Buoy is my project for my degree at the National University of Arts from Bucharest," creator Dragos Bardac explains.

"The film was made in mid 2010 and it is a music video for the song Life buoy by the band The Pixels. I used a mix of stop motion animation techniques in order to tell the story."

But it doesn't stop there.

Published on Vimeo in 2011, "Pantone Pixels" is described by creator Rob Penny as a "personal project that took me a very long time".

Thanks to Entura, however, the image below now greets users of his website.

And it gets worse.

'Pixels' is a 2010 award-winning short film created by Patrick Jean. Its tagline "8Bit creatures are invading New York City" only tells half the story of this extremely cool short movie. It's now wiped out on Vimeo but luckily YouTube still retains copies which together have been viewed millions of times.

Also falling victim is VJLoops.com, a royalty free stock footage & media site. They put up a video on Vimeo titled 'Love Pixels' which turned out to be a big mistake. Same goes for a 42 second video concerning this year's Pixels Festival in Mons, Belgium.

Last, but certainly not least, Entura rounded off this disaster by taking down the official Pixels movie trailer, even though their very own notice lists their errors clearly.

Of course, in addition to the hassle of having had their content wrongfully taken down, each person subjected to a notice from Entura will have a 'strike' placed against their Vimeo account.

"The notice we received says that this is strike 1 which we do not accept for the aforementioned reasons. It also says that for Vimeo to accept to return the video online we have to give our name address and an assortment of statements," the NeMe project told Vimeo in a response.

"I'd suggest filling a counter notice," Mark from the company responded. "This is in the hands of our trust and safety team and unfortunately our support team cannot help you with this issue."

Sorry folks, apparently you're on your own.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

John Oliver on the woeful state of SexEd in the USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0jQz6jqQS0

The video at the end was awesome. :D

But seriously, doesn't American Literature cover everything kids need to know? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.