Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on July 31, 2015, 01:54:14 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2015, 10:58:12 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 30, 2015, 10:47:47 AM
Rushmore.  10/10.  Wanted to watch Last Temptation, tho, or The Searchers.  Having a girlfriend is very restraining. :weep:

You should put a link to your movie blog in your sig.  :contract:

:)

Watched Last Temptation of Christ and 12 Angry Men last night.  8/10 and 10/10, respectively.  Love that Sidney Lumet, and that Scorsese fellow isn't bad either.

It's a good thing you changed that 9/10 for 12 Angry Men...   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

It's kind of on the border, entertainment-wise (not that a 9/10 suggests anything less than "really ducking great"), but as it's really quite flawless I couldn't give it less than a perfect grade.

I think I like Fail Safe better, tho.  Deathtrap's first act is better.  I like Lumet.

You're all religious and shit, what'd you think of Last Temptation?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on July 31, 2015, 03:14:16 PM

Cool soundtrack.

Ideologue

Quote from: citizen k on July 31, 2015, 06:55:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 31, 2015, 03:14:16 PM

Cool soundtrack.

Hell yeah, cool soundtrack.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Holy cow.  I don't think I'd ever heard of that till now.  Sounds like it'd be fun as a movie, but a TV show?
Kinemalogue

The Brain

13 Assassins
Kung Fury
Children of Men

But damn there's a lot of dogs in Children of Men!!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Wasn't there a poll here some time ago about which decade of movies was the greatest? Was it the 1970's that won the poll?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Naturally, it should be the 1950s or 1980s.  But, knowing this crowd--in their 40s and 50s, and pretentious--I'd have bet on the 1970s. :P
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Godfather, Godfather 2, and Star Wars make for a good solid non-pretentious base. I think a good case could be made for any decade between 1940-2000.

Ideologue

I was going to say 1930s, although at that point you kinda have to account for volume.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 01, 2015, 07:42:18 PM
Godfather, Godfather 2, and Star Wars make for a good solid non-pretentious base. I think a good case could be made for any decade between 1940-2000.

Jaws, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, some of the best Woody Allen flicks... plus many others... yeah, the 70s can put forward a damn good case without going too snobbish. 

The snobbish pick is definitely the 60s: Nouvelle Vague, Fellini, Antonioni, Bergman... all at the top of their game.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2015, 10:05:05 PM
I was going to say 1930s, although at that point you kinda have to account for volume.

Look at the films they thought were the best. Much as I disliked Crash, it was a better movie than Cavalcade, Cimarron, The Great Ziegfeld or The Life of Emile Zola. They did make some good comedies, though.

Malthus

Hey Ide, I thought your review of Watership Down was spot-on and an awesome read.

:)

Do you take review requests? If so, I'd be interested in your review of Leon The Professional, which we saw the other day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius