News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2015, 10:41:49 AM
Well, I was on a (90s) Luc Besson kick, and I decided that - just for contrast - I would watch Lucy by way of contrast, to see what he had been up to more recently.

Lord, was it bad.

It was almost bad enough to travel back in time and retroactively make all his *other* movies into stinkers.  :D  Though apparently it made a megaton of money, so what the hell do I know?

The funny thing is that you could almost make a *good* (albeit very short - like hour long TV episode short) movie out of it simply by editing out all the exposition. Just get rid of any hint of explaination as to WTF is happening - get rid, in particular, of the (truly cringe-worthy) 'science-y' speeches the director forced poor Morgan Freeman to make - hell, get rid of him altogether. Get rid of anywhere where they explain what the blue stuff they sewed into her was and what it was for. Leave all that to the imagination.  ;)

Modern Besson has been corrupted by too many years in Hollywood :P

Yeah, Lucy wasn't that good.  It could have been something, but it definately was not.

There were a few other bad movies after Leon too.

In the good ones that you might like:
Original in french, migth be dubbed or subbed:
The Big Blue
La Femme Nikita
Taxi
Taxi 2
Fanfan

English:
The Transporter
Taken (writer)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

True Detective, Season 2.

Great finale.  While half of it was predictable after episode 4 and the other half during the episode itself, it was nonetheless a proper finale to this series.  Not everything turns allright when dealing with corruption stories.  Wich makes for the "True" part of the title, I guess.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 11, 2015, 01:55:21 PM
Modern Besson has been corrupted by too many years in Hollywood :P

Yeah, Lucy wasn't that good.  It could have been something, but it definately was not.

There were a few other bad movies after Leon too.

In the good ones that you might like:
Original in french, migth be dubbed or subbed:
The Big Blue
La Femme Nikita
Taxi
Taxi 2
Fanfan

English:
The Transporter
Taken (writer)

I've seen La Femme Nikita and Adèle Blanc-Sec - both subitled (dubbing is often the devil's work!  ;) ). I enjoyed both. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2015, 02:09:22 PM
I've seen La Femme Nikita and Adèle Blanc-Sec - both subitled (dubbing is often the devil's work!  ;) ). I enjoyed both. 
Well, I will admit that english dubbing is generally bad, except for anime, where Canada seems to have developped a real talent.  French dubbing in Quebec is generally good, but it tends to bring great actor performances to the average, while elevating bad ones ;)   And you have to get over the fact that 4-5 actors may have the same voice :)

The 5th Element has been mentionned previously, but if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you do.

celedhring

Adèle Blanc-Sec is quite bad, but the girl is pretty fetching.

Admiral Yi

Watched some Korean movie last night about the brave and dashing South Korean navy battling it out with the nefarious North Koreans.  They interspersed with historical footage of the relatives wailing and collapsing at a funeral ceremony, so I suppose it's based on a historical incident.  At least according to the movie, the North's secret weapon was a T34 turret mounted on a gun boat.

I've also been enjoying the Korean news broadcasts.  If you're a fan of that Korean plastic look (which at this point I am), they definitely put a lot of heat in front of the camera.  Also checked out some Kpop video at the supermarket while the others were shopping.  That worked well for me too.:perv:

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
At least according to the movie, the North's secret weapon was a T34 turret mounted on a gun boat.

I'm pretty sure that the Soviets and some of the other Communist states built some gunboats whose primary weapon was just a tank turret and gun mounted on the deck.  Don't remember offhand if the North Koreans in particular did, or if the turrets were from T-34's.  And I don't think they were actually secret weapons, beyond the normal classified nature of military hardware.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2015, 10:07:17 PM
Fantastic Four is poop.

So it will be a blockbuster in Germany?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: dps on August 11, 2015, 08:31:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Soviets and some of the other Communist states built some gunboats whose primary weapon was just a tank turret and gun mounted on the deck.  Don't remember offhand if the North Koreans in particular did, or if the turrets were from T-34's.  And I don't think they were actually secret weapons, beyond the normal classified nature of military hardware.

Yes, the Soviets and other Eastern Bloc nations had hundreds of river monitors that used turrets from obsolete, decommissioned tanks as their main armament.  Part of the general Soviet military strategy of not throwing out anything that was not completely useless.  Loads of them used 76mm and 85mm T-34 turrets.

celedhring

Seen the last Mission Impossible flick. It's really fun; the plot is pretty contrived and nonsensical in parts, but you go along with it. The opera scene is pretty rad.

Ideologue

I also enjoyed it, though it was flat in a lot of ways and devoid of personality, clearly the result of trying to hammer Chris McQuarrie into a Brad Bird shaped hole.  I was bummed even though I liked it because I know what it means for the series. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Yeah, the story doesn't have much going for it once you get past the fireworks, but it is pretty enjoyable.