News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I look forward to the movie about the Judean People's Front Suicide Squad

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Aquaman played by khal drogo. gay fox
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Momoa doesn't look anything like Adrian Grenier.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

And neither of them look like aquaman as drawn in comics.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

They should have gotten Daniel Craig.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

The Man from Beyond (1922)

Starring the great Harry Houdini; two arctic explorers discover a shipwreck from an earlier polar expedition.  Inside they discover a frozen man (Houdini) whom is still alive when they thaw him out.  They bring him back to civilization, without telling him that a century has passed; and somehow Houdini doesn't notice all the automobiles and electric lights that they didn't have in 1820.  In any event Houdini wishes to be reunited with his fiancée.  The explorer takes him to his brother's house the day of the wedding of his niece who (get this) is the spitting image of Houdini's fiancée and even has the same first name.  Hilarity ensues as the groom has Houdini locked up; (yeah, I didn't see that coming either) but true love, even through the cycles of birth, death and (possibly) reincarnation triumphs in the end. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Space Station 76

Well, that was rather depressing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Blood on the Moon. It was ok, nothing really memorable though.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2015, 03:20:04 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 13, 2015, 03:11:42 PM
Fraggle rock.
Now there's a big media cultural gap between me and Americans of the same age

Why would it be a big cultural gap?  It was a US/UK/Canadian co-production. :huh:
Apparently.
I never saw it when I was a kid. You never hear Brits mentioning it. I guess it must have been on tv but it wasn't a big thing at all.
Only heard of it for the first time as an adult via americans.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Watched a good chunk of "The Cincinnati Kid" the other night.  Steve McQueen is a poker player who ends up in a head to head game (after the amateurs, including Cab Calloway, get chased off the table) of five card stud with the king of the hill, Edward G. Robinson.  Nice eye candy, including Ann Margaret in her imposing prime.

Admiral Yi

Just saw Birdman.  First half is energetic, creative, intense.  Second half is draggy and pointless.

Eddie Teach

Kingsman. I'm not sure if it's trying to be Bond or Austin Powers, but either way it doesn't quite measure up. There were enough good bits to make it worthwhile, though.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 13, 2015, 03:20:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2015, 03:19:17 PM
I was not aware of the huge cultural impact of Fraggle Rock.

:grr:

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.

I really liked Fraggle Rock, but huge cultural impact? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Zhao Yu's Train (2002)

The lovely Gong Li stars in this story about a woman who travels several hours twice a week to visit her boyfriend, a poet.  She befriends and veterinarian and a love triangle begins.  The film is put together in a series of short vignettes shown in no particular order.  This is made worse because Gong Li plays a second character.  For most of the film I was unsure if they were supposed to be the same person, or if that was a different actress and they actually all do look alike (:Embarrass:).

The film tries to be poetic, but fails and the director desperately wants to be Wong Kir Wai, but isn't.  It's a awful pretentious art film; avoid.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock