TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2015, 03:47:49 PM
The Chickens at least more closely resemble actual velociraptors  :P

:D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

I would like to have a pack of trained velociraptors. :yeah: It would be a glorious few seconds until they kill me. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on June 18, 2015, 03:31:30 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 18, 2015, 03:22:54 PM
:) Something I've been meaning to watch.

I'll get around to the 1930s Imitation,of Life eventually, although of the five Douglas Dirk films I've seen, I think it was my least favorite except (only maybe)  Captain Lightfoot (Rock Hudson, Irish rebel :D). Still pretty good, tho, mind you.

There's a lot less singing and a lot more pancakes in the 1934 "Imitation of Life." 

I preferred the original "Imitation of Life" (I'm sure that's not a surprise.)  Given the era it was made (even Benny Goodman wouldn't integrate his band until 1935) it's a gutsy film.

I prefer the Sirk film (I just love Sirk), but it's true that the 1930s film was very daring for its time. It's particularly hurtful.

celedhring

There's a Portuguese film cycle at the Barcelona cinematheque, so I got dragged to some film called "Os Sorrisos do Destino".

50-something guy finds out his wife cheats on him with a black dude 20 years younger. He gets angry, but ends up befriending the black dude. They get drunk together. End of the film.

Admiral Yi

Eurofilms have a tendency to end in the middle.

viper37

They have the feather, but they lack the teeths ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 18, 2015, 04:23:15 PM
I would like to have a pack of trained velociraptors. :yeah: It would be a glorious few seconds until they kill me. :D
I always wondered why reptiles can't be trained like mammals.  Or there are alligator trainers I just don't know about?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

When Chricton wrote JP it was during a brief momment where a prominent paleontoligst argued that Deinonychus should be subsumed into the Velocirapator clade, with the name Velociraptor antirrhopus.

Of course, feathers at the time weren't envisioned yet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2015, 05:45:14 PM
Eurofilms have a tendency to end in the middle.

Yeah, the film was annoyingly inconclusive. It had some bizarre moments that made it lightly entertaining, though. I.e. the black dude is obsessed with Wagner, owns a dog called "Wotan", and signs "Tristan and Isolde" to him at nights.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 08:32:01 PM
I always wondered why reptiles can't be trained like mammals.  Or there are alligator trainers I just don't know about?

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1683524/

QuoteIn this hilarious and sexy stoner adventure, the blazed students and faculty of Austin's Ladybird High attempt to shake off their slacker demons to stand up for their lifestyle and the eccentric city they love.

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Arnold dresses up as the T-800, full make up and everything, and go trolls a wax museum! :D

https://youtu.be/IBCSrC0TIgo
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring