News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

The Lady from Shanghai, at the Cinémathèque, in a glorious 4K DCP screening.
The way it was meant to be seen, on the big screen.

First Orson Welles retrospective in 50 years (!), despite some of his classics being regularly screened.
Rita Hayworth  :wub:
War of the Worlds radioplay tomorrow Saturday at the same place, havoc at the Cinémathèque?  :tinfoil:

Savonarola

Ernest and Celestine (2012)

Sort of a French "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"  Ernest is bear from a family of judges who wants to be an entertainer.  Celestine is mouse apprentice dentist, but wants to be an artist.  Criminal hi-jinks ensue and Ernest and Celestine shack up; but will the world accept their forbidden (Platonic) love?

It's a charming cartoon but, as an adult, it's hard not to notice how Celestine's height changes in each scene.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

I thought Celestine was a happily married elephant.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2015, 01:19:39 PM
I thought Celestine was a happily married elephant.  :hmm:

The lighter side of colonialism.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Married to her cousin. Hott.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2015, 01:36:01 PM
Married to her cousin. Hott.

In the first book, before he married his cousin, Babar was a gigolo for The Old Lady. 

She finds him on the street, takes him in and buys him fancy clothes and a car, because she likes his company.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I watched an Adam Sandler film called The Cobbler.
From the title I expected the worst.
After watching it I read that it is apparently one of the worst flops ever and a terrible terrible film.
It was...actually pretty OK.
Not setting the world on fire.
Very sedate.
But nothing bad at all.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2015, 11:00:34 AM
not all dinosaurs where feathered, IIRC.

They are today though.

I think I will have some Dinosaur for dinner tonight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on June 19, 2015, 10:44:56 AM

Utahraptor wasn't named at the time of the novel's or film's conception, nor was Achillobator. As Tim said, the inspiration was likely Deinonychus, another dromaeosaurid which was pretty big (still blown up for the film).  I wasn't aware of its taxonomic history in regards a brief association with the Velociraptor genus, which kinda fucks up a theory I raised in my Jurassic Park review series, although I still think I'm basically correct that the big reason "velociraptor" was chosen was because it sounds cool. As does deinonychus, but quick, pluralize deinonychus...

Of course, dromaeosaurid pack hunting is a supposition too.

But you know what no one ever talks about? JP velociraptors are pretty much acceptable artistic license, but the shit they do to Tyrannosaurus and Dilophosaurus in that movie is straight-up retarded.

Wait, there's something else wrong with your reviews?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Whiteout is on TV. Kate Beckinsale can thaw me out any day. :mmm:

viper37

Killjoys is pretty good!  Much better than Dark Matter.  Saw the 2nd episode of that today.  Still full of clichés and easily predictible.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 19, 2015, 11:06:16 AM
Vipe: There is literally not a whiff of a reason to believe Tyrannosaurus couldn't see you just because you stood still. :P

And I'm pretty sure dilophosaurs couldn't spit poison. (The threat display is pretty fanciful too.)

And not all dinos we're feathered; ankylosaurids almost certainly weren't, just for one example. Iirc, almost all theropods were, with evidence pointing to some plumage on Tyrannosaurus, although there are some exceptions, like Spinosaurus, where there is zero evidence for (afaik) and substantial evidence against.
Spinosaurus lived an aquatic lifestlye, no reason to have feathers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 20, 2015, 12:54:35 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 19, 2015, 11:06:16 AM
Vipe: There is literally not a whiff of a reason to believe Tyrannosaurus couldn't see you just because you stood still. :P

And I'm pretty sure dilophosaurs couldn't spit poison. (The threat display is pretty fanciful too.)

And not all dinos we're feathered; ankylosaurids almost certainly weren't, just for one example. Iirc, almost all theropods were, with evidence pointing to some plumage on Tyrannosaurus, although there are some exceptions, like Spinosaurus, where there is zero evidence for (afaik) and substantial evidence against.
Spinosaurus lived an aquatic lifestlye, no reason to have feathers.

jimmy olsen

Penguins need them for insulation against the cold, while Spinosaurus lived in a warm weather climate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point