News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

You are about only person still watching it so can't be surprised spellus.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: katmai on June 22, 2015, 04:57:24 PM
You are about only person still watching it so can't be surprised spellus.
I'm still watching.  Though it is gross and aim for the shock factor rather than suspense so far, for this year.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Bummer about Hannibal. :(

I've seen a lot of stuff over the past month, including Frida (C+), A Single Man (B), An Education (C+), Ratatouille (A), Finding Nemo (B+), Far From Heaven (B+), Magnificent Obsession (A), Written on the Wind (B+), Imitation of Life (1959) (B), Captain Lightfoot (C+), The Boy Next Door (B), The Posiedon Adventure (A), Ninotchka (holding up to the A+ I gave it last time), Locke (also holding up as an A+), It! The Terror From Outer Space (B), Sunset Boulevard (B+), and Double Indemnity (A+).

I've also watched a lot of 30 Rock for the first time.  Boy, guys, isn't Liz Lemon just a fucking troll?  I wish I looked like Tina Fey and could make my apparent hideousness a running gag in my sitcom.  Otherwise, hugely enjoyable.

Formally reviewed:

Duel] (1971).  A+

Tomorrowland (2015).  B

The Rocketeer (1991).  B+

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956).  B

Jurassic Park (1993).  A

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997).  C+

Jurassic Park III (2001).  A

Jurassic World (2015).  C+

Inside Out (2015).  B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

I disagree with a part of your review.  Chris Pratt was the best part of the movie.  I think he's the only one who tried acting through it.  His role was a dumb one, filled with cliches, but he tried to get it right.  The others are there simply for the paycheck.

You know, the French guys, like Duque, they call a very bad movie that is so bad it is fun a nanar, and I think that perfectly fits JP World.  I did laugh, I don't know why because it was awful, but I laughed anyway at some of the stupid ideas of the movie.  Yeah, using raptors as military operatives when they clearly have troubles controlling them without a leash was dumb.  Parents sending their kids to the estranged aunt they haven't see in 7 years?  Oh yeah, sure, what parents wouldn't think of that? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

I like Pratt as a general rule (LEGO and GotG are both incredible), but the script wastes him, and I think Trevorrow did too--I'm not sure to what extent Pratt is to blame.

Now, for my money, The Lost World is that kind of fun-bad you're talking about, where everything is so misjudged and atonal and dumb that it's hard not to laugh and have a decent time with it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2015, 11:15:44 PM
The Rocketeer (1991).  B+

Jurassic Park III (2001).  A

Too low on #1, much too high on #3.

A Spinosarus killing a Tyranosaurus!? :bleeding:

Got to be docked at least two grades for that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

The spinosaurus was very still, and acquired the element of surprise. :P

I guess I can sort of see why people don't love JP3, but as a pure genre film, I just found it a real blast.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

I only now found out that the guy who played the professor in "Avengers" is father of Erik from "True Blood" and Floki from "Vikings". Move over, Baldwins.

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on June 23, 2015, 03:18:59 AM
The spinosaurus was very still, and acquired the element of surprise. :P

I guess I can sort of see why people don't love JP3, but as a pure genre film, I just found it a real blast.

JP3 is the kind of film I can barely remember a thing about, besides the most general plot points. I guess it means it was inoffensive as a movie, since I can remember some of the most infuriating set pieces in The Lost World perfectly, for example.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2015, 05:23:42 AM
I only now found out that the guy who played the professor in "Avengers" is father of Erik from "True Blood" and Floki from "Vikings". Move over, Baldwins.

You didn't know who Stellan Skarsgard is or you didn't know that he was the father of the other two?

Liep

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 10:20:26 AM
Watched The Brink also.  It is hilarious. I Highly recommend this one.

:yes: Tim Robbins is amazing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Grey Fox

Watched True Detective S02ep01.

It was appropriately confusing.

I also watched Ballers. I don't know what to think. The web say it's NFL entourage. I tend to believe them altho I've never watch Entourage.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2015, 06:12:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2015, 05:23:42 AM

You didn't know who Stellan Skarsgard is or you didn't know that he was the father of the other two?

I didn't know he was their father or that they were brothers. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to their last name to realise it is the same - I assumed it is some sort of Swedish incomprehensible thing and left it at that. :P