Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Clockwork Orange in a Latin Quarter arthouse

A+ if you really need a rating.

lustindarkness

I'd love to watch A Clockwork Orange on a big screen.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Vertigo (1957)

I've read that "Vertigo" is starting to replace "Citizen Kane" on the top spots of some pretentious critic's "Best of" lists.  I think "Citizen Kane" is the better movie mostly due to the strength of its dialogue; "Citizen Kane" is so quotable that The White Stripes turned its lines into a song.  "Vertigo" doesn't stand out in that respect; still it's a great film.  The narrative structure is brilliant especially the way Hitchcock completely changes the movie midway through.  He does something similar in "Psycho", but in this case the change impacts what we had previously seen and completely recreates the story. 

There's a lot else to recommend the film.  The repeated lines about power and freedom create clever foreshadowing.  Bernard Hermann's haunting score, the strange changes of lighting and the oddly deserted San Francisco all work together to let us know Jimmy Stewart's state of mind.

The movies biggest flaw is that Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak aren't a believable couple; but it wouldn't be a Hitchcock film if they were.

This movie comes from a different era.  One in which cars had tailfins, men wore fedoras, ladies went shopping by having other women model clothes for them and brandy was "Just like medicine."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

It also popularized the "Vertigo shot":

See: Jaws

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Only line I can recall is "Rosebud."  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2015, 09:09:55 AM
Only line I can recall is "Rosebud."  :hmm:

Do you remember Bernstein talking about the girl on the ferry?  That's a great soliloquy.  Or when Thatcher asks Kane what he would have been; "Everything you hate."  Or Orson Wells slyly looking to the camera and saying "Don't believe everything you hear on the radio."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

No, sorry.

It has been 20 years...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2015, 09:55:57 AM
No, sorry.

It has been 20 years...

It really is a great film. And it seems to get better on re-watching.

I find it rather puzzling I like it so much since generally I am not a fan of movies from that era at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: katmai on June 16, 2015, 09:32:34 PM
Jurassic World.

Mindless summer entertainment. B-
the appropriate term is "cultural genocide. B-", mind you. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Jurassic World has some great dinosaur eating people action. :thumbsup:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 17, 2015, 10:56:22 AM
Jurassic World has some great dinosaur eating people action. :thumbsup:

I hear most people end up cheering for the dinosaurs.

lustindarkness

Even after all the disasters in the Jurassic Park we have seen in the movies, if it were real I would still visit Jurassic Park.  :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

I was tolerant of the errors they made with the Dinosaurs in the first one, that was way back in 1993. But I was bummed to see they did not update them to conform to modern paleontology. Little feather-covered velociraptors. They would be so cute.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

I have my region 0 chinese ripoff cd of Waterloo ready for the anniversary.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2015, 02:43:51 PM
I have my region 0 chinese ripoff cd of Waterloo ready for the anniversary.  :)

The Duke of Wellington made the EU work unlike the shining balls of light today. :P