TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 08, 2015, 09:08:05 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 07, 2015, 06:45:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 03, 2015, 11:55:50 AM
I am getting old..

I got roped into going to see Mad Max: Fury Road. Probably the first movie I've been to in a couple years. It may be longer before I see another movie. I'm surprised it got good reviews. It is a 2 hour car chase scene, with a very predictable plot.

Don't like modern movies anymore = elderly mentality.

This bit is one of the things that makes it such a great movie in my opinion. Too many modern day blockbusters try too hard to have these stupid complicated storylines to justify their big stunts and CGI visuals.

The key is that the movie needs to know what it is trying to be - I love me some good story and a meaty plot. But I am not going to Mad Max Fury Road to find it...

It is like saying a really good steak is great, so I freaking hate the local Italian place because they don't even have steak on the menu.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

QuoteJ Rock, Jizzy Gillespie, Gaylien, Tinkerballs, Wadzilla, One Erection, The Pointless Giant, The 60 foot virgin, Jonah Ono, Hagrid's nutsack, scrotum pole, transgenderformers, 12 years a slave to jerking off, Benedict Cuminhisownhands, Guyscraper, The Cloud Botherer, Supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese, Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole, and Spewbacca

Veep goes beyond funny with its C-SPAN episode. :lmfao:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on June 08, 2015, 09:12:17 AM
Age of Ultron's convoluted mess of storylines and it's a breadth of fresh air imho.
the storylines are only a mess if you haven't watched the previous Marvel movies and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..  Otherwise, they work perfectly, from the intro to the conclusion.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 08, 2015, 09:12:17 AM
Age of Ultron's convoluted mess of storylines and it's a breadth of fresh air imho.
the storylines are only a mess if you haven't watched the previous Marvel movies and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..  Otherwise, they work perfectly, from the intro to the conclusion.

I really shouldn't have to watch a multitude of other films and series to make sense of a movie though. I like what Marvel does, but the cross-referencing is getting a bit out of hand and reminds me of one of the worst aspects of the comic book industry.

Syt

Agents of SHIELD only runs on a small cable channel over here, and Season 2 will premiere this weekend. So if there's required info in that season that helps understanding Age of Ultron, then I had no (legal) way of watching it before the movie, unless I wait till the movie comes out on blu ray.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Well, I wasn't expecting this: James Cameron endorses Terminator Genisys.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/james-cameron-genisys-terminator-endorsement-121016156362.html

Now I will have to see it.

Syt

Mad Max My Little Pony, because internet:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on June 08, 2015, 01:06:36 PM
Well, I wasn't expecting this: James Cameron endorses Terminator Genisys.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/james-cameron-genisys-terminator-endorsement-121016156362.html

Now I will have to see it.

Interesting, so maybe it is a good movie.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2015, 01:18:23 PM
Mad Max My Little Pony, because internet:

Damn it looks liked they actually made those models and took a picture of them. Respect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2015, 11:23:12 AM
Agents of SHIELD only runs on a small cable channel over here, and Season 2 will premiere this weekend. So if there's required info in that season that helps understanding Age of Ultron, then I had no (legal) way of watching it before the movie, unless I wait till the movie comes out on blu ray.
The second season explains the intro: why are the Avengers there.  It explains one allusion by Fury at the very end of the movie (but you only need season 1 for that).  [spoiler]about the Hulk, when he says he's in T.A.H.I.T.I.[/spoiler].  It also explains where does the Helicarrier comes from.

It is not "necessary", but it adds depth&understanding to things that may be confused.

The rest is explained by previous Marvel movies, notably Captain America: Winter Soldier and The Avengers (1st one).

And I like it that way.  Annoying? Yes, a bit. Just like the comic books with their half stories starging mid way through the book and following up in the next 3-4 monthly episodes.
But it lets the producers tell a bigger, wider story since they don't need to redo the intro every time, and re-explain who are the characters.  It ain't Rambo or Die Hard where you can see each movie in disorder.  It's closer to a tv series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  Underwhelming.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 07, 2015, 07:47:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 07, 2015, 06:45:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 03, 2015, 11:55:50 AM
I am getting old..

I got roped into going to see Mad Max: Fury Road. Probably the first movie I've been to in a couple years. It may be longer before I see another movie. I'm surprised it got good reviews. It is a 2 hour car chase scene, with a very predictable plot.

Don't like modern movies anymore = elderly mentality.

I can sympathize.  I rarely go to newer films, and watch a lot of TCM. 

I just find older movies more intelligent, and relying more on intelligent writing/dialogue (note to say there aren't a healthy amount of banal old films) instead an overabundance of CGI.
Fury Road had very little CGI
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Not really.  The storm, one of my favorite scenes, was almost entirely CGI.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on June 10, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
Not really.  The storm, one of my favorite scenes, was almost entirely CGI.

Yes really.  :P

QuoteOver 80% of the effects seen in the film are real practical effects, stunts, make-up and sets. CGI was used sparingly mainly to enhance the Namibian landscape, remove stunt rigging and for Charlize Theron's left hand which in the film is a prosthetic arm.

Martinus

The last episode of Veep had me in stitches.  :lol: