News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

"The Enemy Below".  Good 50's era WWII submarine hunt film (starring Robert Mitchum & Curt Jurgens)...inspiration for the Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror".

Best scene:  A quick few seconds montage...that occurs after the U-Boat goes to hide at the bottom while the destroyer waits them out...with an enlisted scum reading "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" while panning to an officer reading a "Little Orphan Annie" comic.  :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

"Mad Dogs" on Netflix.

It's a bit like watching a re-run of my 20s with slightly older men.
Good stuff if you like movies like "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" and Philip Glenister and John Simm.

Liep

Die Antwoord is consistently the best thing about Chappie which is otherwise a pretty boring movie about nothing in particular.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

lustindarkness

I liked Chappie, I even started caring for the character by the end  :thumbsup:
Other recent movies while in flights:
Ex Machina, weird but still  :thumbsup:
Taken 3  :thumbsup:
Night at the Museum 3  :thumbsup:
Jupiter Ascending, OK
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on June 03, 2015, 11:55:50 AM
I am getting old..

I got roped into going to see Mad Max: Fury Road. Probably the first movie I've been to in a couple years. It may be longer before I see another movie. I'm surprised it got good reviews. It is a 2 hour car chase scene, with a very predictable plot.

Don't like modern movies anymore = elderly mentality.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on June 07, 2015, 06:45:49 PM

You know the director was in his 70s?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

I am getting old..

I got roped into going to see Mad Max: Fury Road. Probably the first movie I've been to in a couple years. It may be longer before I see another movie. I'm surprised it got good reviews. It is a 2 hour car chase scene, with a very predictable plot.

I can sympathize.  I rarely go to newer films, and watch a lot of TCM. 

I just find older movies more intelligent, and relying more on intelligent writing/dialogue (note to say there aren't a healthy amount of banal old films) instead an overabundance of CGI.

Admiral Yi

Watched most of Mad Max II last night.  My favorite bit is that scene about the damage to the rig and how long it will take to fix.  Brilliant.

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 07, 2015, 07:47:24 PM
I am getting old..

I just find older movies more intelligent, and relying more on intelligent writing/dialogue (note to say there aren't a healthy amount of banal old films) instead an overabundance of CGI.

You are talking about two compltetely different kinds of movies. Not every single modern movie uses CGI up to the wazoo.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 08, 2015, 05:20:47 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 07, 2015, 07:47:24 PM
I am getting old..

You are talking about two compltetely different kinds of movies. Not every single modern movie uses CGI up to the wazoo.

Specially Mad Max Fury road which uses very little CGI, at least compared to the Hollywood blockbuster average.

Maladict

I am getting old..

Yeah, it was entertaining but not that great. It was even tedious at the end. When they are at the salt flats and he proposes to go back the exact same way there were audible groans from the audience.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

I am getting old..

This bit is one of the things that makes it such a great movie in my opinion. Too many modern day blockbusters try too hard to have these stupid complicated storylines to justify their big stunts and CGI visuals.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 08, 2015, 09:08:05 AM
I am getting old..

This bit is one of the things that makes it such a great movie in my opinion. Too many modern day blockbusters try too hard to have these stupid complicated storylines to justify their big stunts and CGI visuals.

I agree with that. Fury Road's story was simple but effective. Compare it with, say, Age of Ultron's convoluted mess of storylines and it's a breadth of fresh air imho. A lot of plot doesn't necessarily mean a good plot.