Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 11:17:32 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 17, 2015, 10:56:22 AM
Jurassic World has some great dinosaur eating people action. :thumbsup:

I hear most people end up cheering for the dinosaurs.
they're the most intelligent characters on screen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2015, 11:35:03 AM
I was tolerant of the errors they made with the Dinosaurs in the first one, that was way back in 1993. But I was bummed to see they did not update them to conform to modern paleontology. Little feather-covered velociraptors. They would be so cute.
they sort of adressed that in the movie, when the lead scientist says they did not create dinosaurs because these creatures look nothing like real dinos.  There's a specific term for that kind of sillyness, but I forgot it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2015, 02:49:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2015, 02:43:51 PM
I have my region 0 chinese ripoff cd of Waterloo ready for the anniversary.  :)

The Duke of Wellington made the EU work unlike the shining balls of light today. :P

Give back your French card.  :mad:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2015, 02:52:43 PM

Should have brought Davout -_-

However I was only making fun of the multi-national nature of the Anglo-Allied Army.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2015, 02:55:04 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2015, 02:52:43 PM

Should have brought Davout -_-

However I was only making fun of the multi-national nature of the Anglo-Allied Army.

Davout was busy raising more troops. Grouchy should have done his fucking job.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2015, 02:56:19 PM
Davout was busy raising more troops. Grouchy should have done his fucking job.

Grouchy was an ancien regime aristocratic dog who should never have been trusted.

Valmy

I do enjoy the British acting like this was their most glorious moment evah when only like 35% of one of the three armies in the battle was actually British...and alot of those dudes were Irish.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2015, 02:53:10 PM
Lampshade hanging.

That boy from INXS did that. Be careful.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Lee Daniels' The Butler. Sentimental Oscar-bait. Also, I think the director was being a bit pretentious putting his name in the title. C+
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

The Exterminating Angel (1962)

Luis Buñuel last feature length Mexican film; this one concerns a dinner party where the upper class guests cannot leave the room that held the party.  There's no barrier stopping them, but try as they might they can't get out of the room and likewise no one from the outside world can enter the house.  Days pass, the rules of society break down and our aristocrats are reduced to roasting sheep over a fire in their great room.

This movie is wickedly satiric; I think it has more bite than his later films.  Buñuel said that if this had been one of his later European films he would have taken it to the point of cannibalism; but Mexico of the 1960s was not ready for that.  That restraint worked out better; things like the wacky terrorism in "The Obscure Object of Desire" are simply too over the top to make for effective satire.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

:) Something I've been meaning to watch.

I'll get around to the 1930s Imitation,of Life eventually, although of the five Douglas Dirk films I've seen, I think it was my least favorite except (only maybe)  Captain Lightfoot (Rock Hudson, Irish rebel :D). Still pretty good, tho, mind you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on June 18, 2015, 03:22:54 PM
:) Something I've been meaning to watch.

I'll get around to the 1930s Imitation,of Life eventually, although of the five Douglas Dirk films I've seen, I think it was my least favorite except (only maybe)  Captain Lightfoot (Rock Hudson, Irish rebel :D). Still pretty good, tho, mind you.

There's a lot less singing and a lot more pancakes in the 1934 "Imitation of Life." 

I preferred the original "Imitation of Life" (I'm sure that's not a surprise.)  Given the era it was made (even Benny Goodman wouldn't integrate his band until 1935) it's a gutsy film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

The Chickens at least more closely resemble actual velociraptors  :P