News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 08:27:49 AM
Obviously it can't be as good as the original three, because we're looking at it with different eyes.

I'm going out on a limb and say we probably all saw the first movie before we had pubic hairs...if we watched it for the first time at 40, it probably wouldn't have the same effect. It's all about nostalgia now, which is why we all came when we saw Han and Chewy. No doubt this movie will get better reception because it plays to that nostalgia factor with the original characters that the last three movies didn't. Honestly otehr than Jar Jar Bink, I can't name a supporting character, wheras with the old movies I can name them all...even IG88 and SnaggleTooth.
Aye.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

I'm going out on a limb and say we probably all saw the first movie before we had pubic hairs...if we watched it for the first time at 40, it probably wouldn't have the same effect.

Eh I don't know. Plenty of stuff I liked as a kid I recognize is shit now. I may indulge in it for nostalgia but I know its shit. But some of the things I liked as a kid I think now actually were good. It just seems absurd to suggest that every single piece of media from before I had pubic hair was bad. Besides the prequels had Obi Wan Kenobi and the Emperor two of my favorite characters from the original series (hell the scenes with the Emperor were the redeeming part of RoTJ) and that still didn't work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 17, 2015, 09:15:56 AM
Obviously it can't be as good as the original three, because we're looking at it with different eyes.

I'm going out on a limb and say we probably all saw the first movie before we had pubic hairs...if we watched it for the first time at 40, it probably wouldn't have the same effect. It's all about nostalgia now, which is why we all came when we saw Han and Chewy. No doubt this movie will get better reception because it plays to that nostalgia factor with the original characters that the last three movies didn't. Honestly otehr than Jar Jar Bink, I can't name a supporting character, wheras with the old movies I can name them all...even IG88 and SnaggleTooth.

Seeing any of the originals will be cool no doubt. However, it might be depressing also as a reminder of how old you actually are. :(
Aye.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

It is kind of like going to your High School reunion. Do I really want to see middle aged Princess Leia?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2015, 09:59:12 AM
It is kind of like going to your High School reunion. Do I really want to see middle aged Princess Leia?

Especially after she spent twenty years huffing coke?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2015, 10:20:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2015, 09:59:12 AM

Especially after she spent twenty years huffing coke?  :P

Man it really is exactly like my High School Reunion.

crazy canuck

:yes:

Hell just hearing the beginning notes of the musical score in the trailer got my heart racing even before the camera panned across.

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2015, 10:31:37 AM

Hell just hearing the beginning notes of the musical score in the trailer got my heart racing even before the camera panned across.

Yeap. And they did that on purpose for that same emotional effect.
I would love for them to use the original score in the new movie(s) and continue to tie in the story to the original trilogy as much as they can.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josephus

Are they doing a trilogy...or just a one-off?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Watched most of Inside Lewynn Davis last night.  Well made, some good parts (I liked the Chicago scene in particular--best line: "I don't see a lot of money here"), definitely dark, overall pretty dull.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 10:38:12 AM

1 Star Wars movie every year.

It will alternate between a Skywalker saga movie & one set in the Star Wars Universe.

2016's movie is Bounty Hunter related.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 17, 2015, 10:47:09 AM

Wow Disney you have managed to outdo yourself. That is no small achievement.

I have to say having seen the trailer color me unimpressed. Yet ANOTHER version of the Empire and its clone soldiers? More Tatooine? I mean we have an entire galaxy with millions of world.

Josephus

It will alternate between a Skywalker saga movie & one set in the Star Wars Universe.

Cool!
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

:huh:

We don't know anything about it other than the title, Rogue One, but that makes it sound very X-Wing related.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2015, 10:45:12 AM
Watched most of Inside Lewynn Davis last night.  Well made, some good parts (I liked the Chicago scene in particular--best line: "I don't see a lot of money here"), definitely dark, overall pretty dull.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk