News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

To be honest, one of the most exciting things to me is that we have no idea what the new trilogy will be about. We knew that the prequels would be about the downfall of the Republic, Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader, the Jedi vanishing from the galaxy, etc... this is entirely new ground for the saga. It may end up being a retread (Darth Whatever reuniting the Empire blah blah blah), but one thing I'll give to Abrams is that he usually seeks interesting angles for the franchises he works in (like how he handled the Star Trek reboot or his MI entry).

frunk

I haven't liked anything he has done.  He can be visually interesting, but his stories always end up as overcomplicated meaningless messes.

celedhring

He isn't always successful, but he always tries to not go the most obvious way. It's something I appreciate.

The last Star Trek film was terrible though.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2015, 05:31:42 PM
He isn't always successful, but he always tries to not go the most obvious way. It's something I appreciate.

The last Star Trek film was terrible though.

As terrible as it was, it was still better than the first one he did.  At least Into Darkness had incredibly dumb logic.  The first one just had random shit happening pretending to be deep and engaging.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2015, 02:21:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2015, 01:31:12 PM
After all those years I shouldn't still get goosebumps when I see a new Star Wars trailer. :blush:

No kidding.

I mean, it is going to be bad, right? Sure it is - there has been too much disappoint for it NOT to be bad, the universe just doesn't work that way.

So why am I not able to blow it off?

It will be awful.  I will sleep much more easily thinking it will be awful until I am surprised (or not).  I don't have much confidence in JJ Abrams at this point.  We'll see, though...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2015, 01:31:12 PM
After all those years I shouldn't still get goosebumps when I see a new Star Wars trailer. :blush:

Hehe, really, so do I.   :blush:   :)

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on April 16, 2015, 06:44:10 PM
It will be awful.  I will sleep much more easily thinking it will be awful until I am surprised (or not).  I don't have much confidence in JJ Abrams at this point.  We'll see, though...
It certainly can't be as bad as Phantom Menace if it has Chewie instead of Jar Jar.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: frunk on April 16, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
I haven't liked anything he has done.  He can be visually interesting, but his stories always end up as overcomplicated meaningless messes.

I don't think I've (knowingly) watched any of his movies besides the Star Trek ones, and when I saw the first one I thought, "This action focused plot feels less like Star Trek and more like Star Wars," so I'm mildly optimistic that he might be able to swing it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I liked his first Star Trek movie, so I'm hopeful.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Batman vs. Superman trailer. Cell phone video, so not the best quality.

Looks like the fall out from the battle with Zod is going to be a big focus.

It also looks like they're framing Batman as the villain. I wonder if there will be an alternate trailer framing Superman as the villain?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=118811

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Obviously it can't be as good as the original three, because we're looking at it with different eyes.

I'm going out on a limb and say we probably all saw the first movie before we had pubic hairs...if we watched it for the first time at 40, it probably wouldn't have the same effect. It's all about nostalgia now, which is why we all came when we saw Han and Chewy. No doubt this movie will get better reception because it plays to that nostalgia factor with the original characters that the last three movies didn't. Honestly otehr than Jar Jar Bink, I can't name a supporting character, wheras with the old movies I can name them all...even IG88 and SnaggleTooth.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 08:27:49 AM
Obviously it can't be as good as the original three, because we're looking at it with different eyes.

I'm going out on a limb and say we probably all saw the first movie before we had pubic hairs...if we watched it for the first time at 40, it probably wouldn't have the same effect. It's all about nostalgia now, which is why we all came when we saw Han and Chewy. No doubt this movie will get better reception because it plays to that nostalgia factor with the original characters that the last three movies didn't. Honestly otehr than Jar Jar Bink, I can't name a supporting character, wheras with the old movies I can name them all...even IG88 and SnaggleTooth.

I'm pretty sure I'll recognize the name of the princess who was played by that girl from Black Swan, skinny girl, also in that movie with the French guy, Reno?. I even remember some of the costumes.. or at least that very tight one.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on April 17, 2015, 08:48:27 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 08:27:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll recognize the name of the princess who was played by that girl from Black Swan, skinny girl, also in that movie with the French guy, Reno?. I even remember some of the costumes.. or at least that very tight one.

I wouldn't classify her as a supporting character, though.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011