News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I'll allow myself to be mildly excited about this.

https://youtu.be/JsC1XSroHwY
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

After all those years I shouldn't still get goosebumps when I see a new Star Wars trailer. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2015, 01:31:12 PM
After all those years I shouldn't still get goosebumps when I see a new Star Wars trailer. :blush:

I even got a mild erection upon seeing Harrison Ford and Chewbacca.  :blush:

Eddie Teach

I started crying for no reason.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

That's because the movie might end up being crap, but at least it looks like proper Star Wars. It's got the music, TIE fighters, stormtroopers and the like. We wuz robbed the last time around.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2015, 01:31:12 PM

No kidding.

I mean, it is going to be bad, right? Sure it is - there has been too much disappoint for it NOT to be bad, the universe just doesn't work that way.

So why am I not able to blow it off?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

Same boat.  I know it will be awful, but I still look forward to it.
PDH!

Josquius

Snow piercer- Korean English language film. Global warming attempted cure turns he world into an ice cube and all the survivors live on a magic train going around the earth forever.
Yeah.
Scientifically accurate it ain't.
Interesting idea, fighting from the back of a train to the front. Very linear and video game like. Could be done well. Here it isn't.
The ending made me laugh- the train breaks down and people have to go out into the world, believing certain death awaits them... But oh, thre earth is thawing, they're surviving! And look! An animal- all life isn't dead after all! Look at the lovely polar bear! Fade to black.
Wait....
Wouldn't the bear.... Eat them?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Arrow: [spoiler]Rocks fall. Everybody dies.[/spoiler]  :huh:

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2015, 02:42:35 PM
Snow piercer- Korean English language film. Global warming attempted cure turns he world into an ice cube and all the survivors live on a magic train going around the earth forever.
Yeah.
Scientifically accurate it ain't.
Interesting idea, fighting from the back of a train to the front. Very linear and video game like. Could be done well. Here it isn't.
The ending made me laugh- the train breaks down and people have to go out into the world, believing certain death awaits them... But oh, thre earth is thawing, they're surviving! And look! An animal- all life isn't dead after all! Look at the lovely polar bear! Fade to black.
Wait....
Wouldn't the bear.... Eat them?

[spoiler]I didn't get a "the world is saved" vibe from the ending. It's pretty obvious they aren't going to survive out there.[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

Quote from: meSnowpiercer. Really stupid, and not in a good way.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

A dissenting view on the Star Wars trailer:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/04/the-star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-trailer-looks-awfully-awesomely-familiar/390738/?utm_source=SFFB

QuoteThe Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer Looks Almost Too Familiar

It's cool to see old films updated by J.J. Abrams. But it's not Star Wars if there's no new vision.

In the past three years, many fans' attitudes toward Disney's takeover of the Star Wars franchise has gone from indignation to careful optimism to, as of today, outright frothing excitement. A new trailer for Episode VII: The Force Awakens—only the second bit of footage that's been released—is why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

In contrast to the three prequels that resembled 70s and 80s originals in neither setting, tone, nor quality, this clip reminds of the originals in every frame. Many of the ingredients are literally the same. There's Tatooine, or what looks like it. Star Destroyers, X-Wings, and Tie fighters. Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, R2-D2, and even Dark Vader's charred helmet. That John Williams theme.

The filmmaking, too, looks promising. Director J.J. Abrams has promised that Episode VII would use practical effects instead of CGI to recreate the tattered, tactile feel of the originals, and he appears to have delivered. He's also delivered some stunningly composed shots, actors who seem in the act of actually acting, and a sense of momentum that suggests this new movie will boast more pure competency than the three prequels combined.

The new elements of Episode VII that have been revealed so far are objectively awesome-looking—and, also, extremely familiar. The new Tie designs, the apparent villain wearing a Vader-esque helmet, and the costumes for new actors John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Daisy Ridley all appear to be lightly tweaked versions of original-trilogy items. This, too, might be a corrective to the mistakes of the prequels, which were set a few decades before A New Hope and yet featured technology that seemed of an entirely different universe than the one that fans had come to know. Viewers couldn't help but wonder: Why weren't there any glimpses of junked Naboo fighters or pod racers somewhere in the original trilogy? By putting in a downed Star Destroyer, an upgraded Storm Trooper, the Millennium Falcon, etc., Abrams is in one way being a more conscientious storyteller than late-'90s/early- aughts George Lucas was.

But: You could argue that what defines Star Wars isn't merely the specific items like lightsabers and X-Wings. It's the fact that each film showed you something completely bizarre and fabulous. The Star Destroyers so familiar in this trailer were shocking and bold to audiences in 1977. Each subsequent film had similar moments of inventive brilliance, whether it was the image of Cloud City or Emperor Palpatine's lightning fingers. The prequels, if nothing else, kept this part of the DNA; the Gungans and their underwater cities, for example, may not hold a high place in the cultural canon, but they were, at least, attempts at innovation. Episode VII, by contrast, has only shown us attempts at remixing, with soccer-ball R2-D2s and crucifix lightsabers and a new season for Imperial fashion. Maybe Abrams has a bold, new vision we've yet to see. Or maybe it will turn out that the galaxy far, far away has finally, in spirit, been conquered by the pandering, fan-servicing, sequel-obsessed universe of today.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

My best hope about the new movie is that they're packing the trailers full of fan service homages to the original, yet saving the new and wonderful material for the movie itself.  I mean they know how deeply these trailers will be dissected, so if they're not very, very careful they could spoiler the whole movie in the trailers.

Or it could be nothing but recycling familiar elements from the original movies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.