And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 17, 2015, 10:46:31 PM
Scooby Doo Kiss crossover? Weird.  :hmm: :hmm:

Not really. Scooby Doo is all about the celebrity crossovers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2015, 04:36:19 PM
I wish he had stayed in a story capacity, but I understand he couldn't just be half-involved in it.
Kind of like the capacity he was in on Crystal Skull?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

celedhring

Syt

A video about the creation of the Star Wars Despecialized Edition, a fan effort to recreate the original theatrical release of Star Wars in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=654&v=dHfLX_TMduY

:nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on April 18, 2015, 12:14:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2015, 04:36:19 PM
I wish he had stayed in a story capacity, but I understand he couldn't just be half-involved in it.
Kind of like the capacity he was in on Crystal Skull?

To the extent that movie even has problems, it's least of all in its story.

Oh, right, surviving a nuke in a fridge is much dumber than surviving a 500 foot drop in an inflatable raft, or whatever the fuck that was in Last Crusade, with the magic box.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

TNG is weird.  I loved DS9 but it was kind of halfway between TNG and stuff like BSG with season-long and multi-season arcs.  Here almost everything is reset episode to episode.

Also, I think Picard is a wonderful, wonderful character, but he's so much better than everyone else on the show that it feels really imbalanced.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

I liked Data and Geordie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Data is Spock Lite.  Geordie is okay.  Where's he from on Earth?  Where'd he grow up?

I fucking love Michelle Forbes and her character, and I actually like Worf a lot but feel like he develops more on DS9. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Dracula Untold - unfathomably terrible, stay far away.

Also, every Turkish character is played by guys so white it hurts :lol:

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2015, 01:30:32 PM
Dracula Untold - unfathomably terrible, stay far away.

Also, every Turkish character is played by guys so white it hurts :lol:

Mehmet II was pretty much a white guy. -_-  His haircut was stupid.

Quote from: PsellusData is Spock Lite.  Geordie is okay.  Where's he from on Earth?  Where'd he grow up?

I dunno.  Where did any fictional character grow up?  It's often not very important.

I mean, I agree with your basic premise, that the TNG characters are flatter than the DS9 ones (arguably flatter than the TOS triumvirate, at least taking into consideration the six TOS films), and I also agree that DS9 is way, way better than TNG.  But TNG didn't demand round characters, since it was mainly an episodic plot-driven show.  Those aren't in vogue anymore, sure, but it's how it was then.

Anyway, does it bother anyone else that Data has no emotions yet has a desire (an emotion) to be human and feels sort of sad (an emotion) that he doesn't?  It's like an enormous logical contradiction that no one ever brings up.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Everyone knows James T. Kirk was born in Riverside Iowa.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 18, 2015, 01:42:43 PM
But TNG didn't demand round characters, since it was mainly an episodic plot-driven show.

I'm like 15-20 episodes into DS9 and yet to see it be any different.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Queequeg on April 18, 2015, 08:53:34 AM
TNG is weird.  I loved DS9 but it was kind of halfway between TNG and stuff like BSG with season-long and multi-season arcs.  Here almost everything is reset episode to episode.

Also, I think Picard is a wonderful, wonderful character, but he's so much better than everyone else on the show that it feels really imbalanced.
DS9 was a favorite of mine, whether it was better than others, I don't really have an opinion. I liked it for the characters and also that it also had a lot of contact with various civilizations, some at war with each other. The DS9 station was in the mix of it all.

Picard is great on the show. He's a great actor; I've liked him in other roles he's been in.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2015, 01:50:08 PM
But TNG didn't demand round characters, since it was mainly an episodic plot-driven show.

It starts out episodic like TNG (though has some starts on the underlying arcs), but goes into the big arcs later in the series.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2015, 01:50:08 PM

Starting with season 1 of DS9 was your mistake. :P  Better to watch Emissary (the pilot), maybe The Wire (a great Garak episode that somehow managed to be in season 2), maybe a random episode or two just for fun, and then Jem'Hadar (the finale of season 2) and onward from there.  Nobody really likes S1 and S2 of DS9, and nothing gets going till the Dominion shows up.  Then, by Way of the Warrior (the TV movie that opened S4), it's about 80% very good to great throughout till S7, which has hiccups, but is largely satisfying in the exact way that (for example) Battlestar Galactica absolutely is not.
Kinemalogue