And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Aye, great episode.

The zombie that the priest killed... was that Gary Busey?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Just finished season 3 of The Wire.  Damn.  That was brutal.  I've always thought something like Hamsterdam would be a brilliant idea.  Fucking War on Drugs.  It will never work and the repercussions are terrible.  The terminology is fucked when you use it like that.  It's one of the many reasons that it will never, ever work.  I was listening to a report on the concept of "battling cancer" and the effort being like a war, and how bullshit of a concept it was.  Season 3 definitely brought that in firmly with the War on Drugs.  Fucking politics.  Damn.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Gups

Northern Soul - Brit coming of age/Bromance film with added  amphetimines. Good fun, great music, fun cameo by Steve Coogan B+

Malthus

Saw a Swedish historical drama miniseries "Arn: the Knight Templar". Arn, a young Swedish nobleman, gets caught up in political problems between rival clans; he rashly helps his buddy assassinate the local King, and as a result the church (under the control of the rival clan) banishes him for screwing his girl-friend out of wedlock - so it is off to the Crusades for him, and into a nunnery straight out of the Marquis de Sade's imagination for her. Will they survive to meet up again decades later? And who will be king of the Swedes?

Over all, I enjoyed it; there is a certain amount of modernist 'the good guys are impossibly multiculturally friendly, the bad guys are bigots' thing going on, but not so much as to make it absurd. For some reason, at times the actors would speak bits in English - I suppose to demonstrate what a wide-ranging crew these Knights were - but mostly it was in Swedish, with subtitles.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2015, 08:40:43 AM
and into a nunnery straight out of the Marquis de Sade's imagination for her.

Sadistic Mother Superior? Sounds realistic to me :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2015, 04:14:13 PM
Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Can see the appeal for some, but like the first one I still find it too heavy-handed and ridiculous.

Yeah, but then the books were as well.

KRonn

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 29, 2015, 09:57:57 PM
TWD, HOLYSHITWHATANAWESOMEEPISODE!
I totally agree! That was awesome! When it finished, with that final scene, I just sat there and say Holy Crap! Great season finale! I like how certain events ended up, how the characters ended up, for the most part.

lustindarkness

Quote from: KRonn on March 30, 2015, 09:11:56 AM
I totally agree! That was awesome! When it finished, with that final scene, I just sat there and say Holy Crap! Great season finale! I like how certain events ended up, how the characters ended up, for the most part.

Yeap, I yelled at the TV at least 4 or 5 times, first time just a couple minutes into the episode. :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

You guys.

I don't think I can get away watching this at work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Trevor Noah will replace Jon Stewart at the Daily Show. I'm pleasantly surprised by this as he's been very funny the few times I've seen him on the show and on QI.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

A foreigner in this most American of offices?

Well at least nobody will ever accuse him of trying to replace John Stewart.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 30, 2015, 09:18:10 AM

Yeap, I yelled at the TV at least 4 or 5 times, first time just a couple minutes into the episode. :blush:
Oh yeah, the opening scene was a huge surprise, and on top of that it was a great scene!   :yeah:

crazy canuck

Agreed.  Best season finale in the history of TV.

Habbaku

Trevor Noah has been incredibly unfunny each time I have seen him on The Daily Show. I can only hope he is a better host than a contributor.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2015, 10:24:16 AM

Agreed.  Best season finale in the history of TV.
Wrong.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."