News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

It Follows this past Sunday. Went with three other people. Three of us loved it, the other hated it.

Good horror flick, great little movie. Has a dreamy, nightmarish quality. 5 people slowly following you out of 5.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2015, 09:36:19 PM
Super Troopers 2 is a go! :w00t:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/super-troopers-2-passes-2-million-crowdfunding-goal-1201460308/#

If it doesn't have Brian Cox, I spit on it.

QuoteCox is a diabetic and has worked to promote a diabetes research facility in his home town of Dundee. The producers of Super Troopers discovered his affliction when a scene called for Cox to eat a white chocolate prop that resembled a bar of soap. Cox bit into it thinking they knew this, and promptly spat it out upon tasting it. Production was halted until a sugar-free substitute could be found. Cox, not wishing to waste more time, instead ate the soap on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZG8KQJni8
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Vikings got rid of one it's more annoying characters last night.  :)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

The Wrestler. If there ever was a role that was custom tailored to Mickey Rourke...

It reminded me a lot of the '99 documentary "Beyond the Mat," and rings true to accounts of what can be going on in the independent circuit, especially for has beens. Heck, a friend of mine helps run a small promotion in North Germany. Every now and then they pool cash with a few other promotions and invite former superstars from twenty years ago; and he has some depressing stories of how broken some of them are and who don't want to or just can't quit. Though he says his favorite encounter was with Tony Atlas. He says he's an absolutely amazing and inspiring dude.

Though I guess there's very few who'd basically reach Hulk Hogan levels (like The Ram in the movie) and then fall so low. It's probably more likely for those that got close to the top but never quite made it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I've seen it last week.  Very good movie, indeed.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2015, 07:45:58 AM
The Wrestler. If there ever was a role that was custom tailored to Mickey Rourke...

It reminded me a lot of the '99 documentary "Beyond the Mat," and rings true to accounts of what can be going on in the independent circuit, especially for has beens. Heck, a friend of mine helps run a small promotion in North Germany. Every now and then they pool cash with a few other promotions and invite former superstars from twenty years ago; and he has some depressing stories of how broken some of them are and who don't want to or just can't quit. Though he says his favorite encounter was with Tony Atlas. He says he's an absolutely amazing and inspiring dude.

Though I guess there's very few who'd basically reach Hulk Hogan levels (like The Ram in the movie) and then fall so low. It's probably more likely for those that got close to the top but never quite made it.

Isn't his character sort of inspired by Jake "The Snake" Roberts?

Great movie indeed.

Syt

Yeah some scenes seem similar to Beyond The Mat which showed Roberts at his possibly lowest (though also added crack smoking to the list). When it comes to broken personal relationships, like with his daughter then yeah. I think it takes elements from various biographies and re-assembles them into something new. E.g. The Ram was as big as Hogan and like Hogan had a famous feud with an Arab character. His finisher is basically Randy Savage's elbow drop. The hardcore match could be from something about Terry Funk (not to mention being completely battered and bruised, which also goes for a lot of wrestlers), the prosthetic leg thing actually happened in ECW. Broke wrestlers, even though they had huge success? Ask Ric Flair about that. Former big names touring the indie circuit for spare change, because they fail to make it in the "real world?" There's plenty of those.

The fact that there's quite a few ad libbed scenes in there (usually when Rourke interacts with other wrestlers, or part of his working the meat counter) makes it feel more authentic. And I have to say Rourke looks pretty legit in the ring, though some of the moves he uses wouldn't be typical for an 1980s wrestler.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Universal really is counting on Furious 7 to make them a bunch of jack. The amount of promotion and hype is pretty crazy, they are everywhere.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 27, 2015, 06:44:45 AM
Yeah, though I didn't mind the character.

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 27, 2015, 06:44:45 AM

Really? He was one of my favourites. But this show is so good.

Lagertha still my favourite character though.

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 27, 2015, 01:41:08 PM
Universal really is counting on Furious 7 to make them a bunch of jack. The amount of promotion and hype is pretty crazy, they are everywhere.

HAS ONE OF SEEDY'S FAV FOREVER ACTORS, VIN DIESEL
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

The last one made a huge impact at the box office, grossing almost 800 million dollars, so I guess they want to break the bank with the newest one.

lustindarkness

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2015, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 27, 2015, 01:41:08 PM

HAS ONE OF SEEDY'S FAV FOREVER ACTORS, VIN DIESEL

I AM VROOM.. I MEAN GROOT.. I AM GROOT.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: The Larch on March 27, 2015, 05:04:08 PM
The last one made a huge impact at the box office, grossing almost 800 million dollars, so I guess they want to break the bank with the newest one.

I'll do my part, I already bought my ticket for next Thursday. I like these stupid movies, this one looks like a crossover of Mission Impossible with The Avengers and some mushy sad farwell to Paul Walker.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

The last two have got a lot of old-school capering in them.  They're a little too silly for their own good, but they're pretty fun.  I get the feeling Furious 7 will actually address that complaint by being so ridiculous it can be enjoyed as a Speed Racer-style cartoon where physical reality is pushed entirely out of the way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)