News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2015, 01:43:50 PM
Every new Mad Max trailer seems crazier and furiouser than the last. Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

I wonder if anyone has ever released a trailer that was nothing but a bunch of shit exploding.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I actually LOL'ed at the electric guitar/flamethrower bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2015, 01:43:50 PM
Every new Mad Max trailer seems crazier and furiouser than the last. Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

Looks awesome. Crazy awesome.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Paradise Lost 3. Whoa! Crazy stepfather switch. Good series.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 09:04:09 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on March 31, 2015, 08:06:18 AM
Re: TWD season finale:
[spoiler]who was shot by Rick? Deanna's husband, to avoid him turning zombie, or the beater?[/spoiler]
The audience is divided, in my home  :D

L.

I think [spoiler]he shot Pete, we did not see him turn towards Reg.[/spoiler] I'm sure they do that on purpose to have us debate little details until October.

I thought [spoiler]it was pretty damned obvious that he was executing the wife beater.[/spoiler]

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2015, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2015, 08:28:42 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2015, 12:49:46 AM
Better Call Saul:

Odenkirk is ok, but I'm coming to the view that the Ehrmantraut character(and actor) is carrying the show.

I must admit, I never saw the major twist comming until the scene where the brother makes a phone call.

[spoiler]I thought Jimmy would lose the case to the big law firm, then take a sly revenge on that asshole partner - leading to the brother's alienation. I never thought it was the brother had been sabotaging him the whole time! Nice payback for Jimmy's loyalty and support. [/spoiler]

My growing problem with this show is that Jimmy is becomming something of a butt-monkey; nothing but nothing goes right for him - despite his hard work and smarts.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtMonkey

I agree with your assessment on Mike. Seeing him being badass is always awesome, and he can carry the drama very well. Must be his droopy face. :D

Jimmy as butt monkey - yes, agreed, though with the twist this episode, [spoiler]with his whole life turned upside down, it might be that he says "fuck all y'all" and becomes Saul - he has a great reason for renouncing his name now.[/spoiler] Indeed, didn't see this coming, and I wonder [spoiler]where this'll leave Hamlin, because he was (possibly unfairly) the target of Jimmy's hate all the time when in fact it all came from his brother. It might turn out that their outward personas and their true characters are actually reversed.[/spoiler]

With season 1 ending next week I would think season 2 [spoiler]will find him trying to find his way without his brother and veering more towards the Slippin' Jimmy kind of persona of which we've already had a few glimpses this season.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Additionally, with his brother still suffering from his "condition," he might now be more willing to consider having his mind checked out.[/spoiler]

I think [spoiler]a lot of the series is going to be telling the story of the "fall" of Jimmy into Saul...his own "breaking bad" essentually.  And it's kinda crappy knowing that, eventually, Chuck and Kim are going to have to either die, or be so far outside of his life that there is no reason for them to have been in BB.  Though that makes me wonder that, if the show ends up having enough legs, they might morph it from a prequel to a sequel at some point (which could work with the pilot/Cinnabon teaser).[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2015, 06:45:27 PM
[spoiler]who was shot by Rick? Deanna's husband, to avoid him turning zombie, or the beater?[/spoiler]

L.

I think [spoiler]he shot Pete, we did not see him turn towards Reg.[/spoiler] I'm sure they do that on purpose to have us debate little details until October.

I thought [spoiler]it was pretty damned obvious that he was executing the wife beater.[/spoiler]

Agreed.  [spoiler]the purpose of the scene was to show that she understood now that Rick had been right that the wife beater should be killed and not just exiled[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2015, 06:48:33 PM
I think [spoiler]a lot of the series is going to be telling the story of the "fall" of Jimmy into Saul...his own "breaking bad" essentually.  And it's kinda crappy knowing that, eventually, Chuck and Kim are going to have to either die, or be so far outside of his life that there is no reason for them to have been in BB.  Though that makes me wonder that, if the show ends up having enough legs, they might morph it from a prequel to a sequel at some point (which could work with the pilot/Cinnabon teaser).[/spoiler]

I wouldn't read too much into that, it just means there's no reason for them to have met Walt. Other than hitting on his secretary a couple times, we don't really see any of Saul's personal life in Breaking Bad.

[spoiler]One issue I had with the last episode- how does Mike "do his homework" regarding the guys involved at this meet? All his contacts are in Philly, and it's not like gang members advertise their corporate structure online.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2015, 04:12:31 AM
I wouldn't read too much into that, it just means there's no reason for them to have met Walt. Other than hitting on his secretary a couple times, we don't really see any of Saul's personal life in Breaking Bad.

[spoiler]One issue I had with the last episode- how does Mike "do his homework" regarding the guys involved at this meet? All his contacts are in Philly, and it's not like gang members advertise their corporate structure online.[/spoiler]

I'm guessing that [spoiler]starting from the vet he's starting to build up a network of contacts through which he can do his research[/spoiler].

I like that the twist [spoiler]with Chuck is actually plausible, at least to me. He's always had a bit of aristocratic air, especially when he's lawtalking. So coming out like this (and it's not like he has no reason to look down on "Slippin' Jimmy" the con man) and going on a rant about the sanctity of the law and all doesn't seem out of character. It also goes to show how self conscious he is of his image that he likes to be seen as the nice guy, and lets other people deliver bad news for him.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Pedrito

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 06:49:10 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2015, 06:45:27 PM

L.

Agreed.  [spoiler]the purpose of the scene was to show that she understood now that Rick had been right that the wife beater should be killed and not just exiled[/spoiler]
Yes, it's the first thought I had when watching the scene, but after thinking a bit about it, I'm not so sure. [spoiler]it's too big a shift in Deanna's stance[/spoiler]. Oh well, we'll see in five months.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

It's Pete. If not, Morgan's reaction makes no sense.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2015, 04:18:59 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2015, 04:12:31 AM

I'm guessing that [spoiler]starting from the vet he's starting to build up a network of contacts through which he can do his research[/spoiler].

I like that the twist [spoiler]with Chuck is actually plausible, at least to me. He's always had a bit of aristocratic air, especially when he's lawtalking. So coming out like this (and it's not like he has no reason to look down on "Slippin' Jimmy" the con man) and going on a rant about the sanctity of the law and all doesn't seem out of character. It also goes to show how self conscious he is of his image that he likes to be seen as the nice guy, and lets other people deliver bad news for him.[/spoiler]

We already suspected that [spoiler] Chuck was manipulative towards Jimmy - his whole illness routine seems tied somehow to his disfunctional relationship with his brother, he gets more "ill" when his brother dissapoints him - and he seems to relish having his brother run around taking care of him.

I'm guessing that his high-and-mighty 'sanctity of the law' rationale for betraying Jimmy is, conciously or not, so much bullshit, that Chuck's real motive is to prevent his brother from having any sort of legitimate success and keep the co-dependency thing going strong.

How Chuck will handle Jimmy washing his hands of him will be interesting. Will he suddenly become "cured", or will he suffer some sort of horrible relapse in a bid for Jimmy's attention? [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2015, 08:32:07 AM
How Chuck will handle Jimmy washing his hands of him will be interesting. Will he suddenly become "cured", or will he suffer some sort of horrible relapse in a bid for Jimmy's attention? [/spoiler]

I hope in the latter case that [spoiler]Jimmy reconsiders involuntary commitment of his brother.[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

Movie Fury, Brad Pitt, Shia LeBouef. I saw that a while ago and thought I'd like a war movie like it, focusing on a Sherman tank crew, but it was kind of an odd movie and over the top. First the gunning down of a German prisoner with all the soldiers, NCOs and officers around, was ridiculous. Then the battle at the end was way over the top. They had a great movie in there somewhere but just blew it.