News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Better Call Saul:

Odenkirk is ok, but I'm coming to the view that the Ehrmantraut character(and actor) is carrying the show. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on March 30, 2015, 11:22:57 PM
Also, The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2014) is powerfully boring.  Undeniable artistry, but really dull.  C
You're a soulless monster.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Pedrito

Re: TWD season finale:
[spoiler]who was shot by Rick? Deanna's husband, to avoid him turning zombie, or the beater?[/spoiler]
The audience is divided, in my home  :D

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2015, 12:49:46 AM
Better Call Saul:

Odenkirk is ok, but I'm coming to the view that the Ehrmantraut character(and actor) is carrying the show.

I must admit, I never saw the major twist comming until the scene where the brother makes a phone call.

[spoiler]I thought Jimmy would lose the case to the big law firm, then take a sly revenge on that asshole partner - leading to the brother's alienation. I never thought it was the brother had been sabotaging him the whole time! Nice payback for Jimmy's loyalty and support. [/spoiler]

My growing problem with this show is that Jimmy is becomming something of a butt-monkey; nothing but nothing goes right for him - despite his hard work and smarts.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtMonkey
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Quote from: Pedrito on March 31, 2015, 08:06:18 AM
[spoiler]who was shot by Rick? Deanna's husband, to avoid him turning zombie, or the beater?[/spoiler]

L.

I think [spoiler]he shot Pete, we did not see him turn towards Reg.[/spoiler] I'm sure they do that on purpose to have us debate little details until October.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

Better Call Saul:

I like both of them. I like the fumbling that Saul goes through as he tries to gain legitimacy as a lawyer, and eventually I assume it'll lead to where he was in Breaking Bad. A money launderer and lawyer for well heeled crooks. That all seems it would be entertaining, and I think Odenkirk does well.

KRonn

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 09:04:09 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on March 31, 2015, 08:06:18 AM

L.

I think [spoiler]he shot Pete, we did not see him turn towards Reg.[/spoiler] I'm sure they do that on purpose to have us debate little details until October.
I think the same but it's an outside possibility that [spoiler] he didn't kill Pete, just fired a shot to scare him. But on Talking Dead one of the actors mentioned the shooting of Pete so maybe he was killed, as seems most likely.  I think Rick and his group understand that if they let him leave then he may later on get in with another dangerous group to attack the community for their stuff. [/spoiler]

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2015, 01:02:46 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 30, 2015, 11:22:57 PM
Also, The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2014) is powerfully boring.  Undeniable artistry, but really dull.  C
You're a soulless monster.

Am I?  I dunno if I've ever seen a story more romantic about peasant life viz. that of the aristocracy--who have it so bad, because they're, you know, so phony.  The far more cogent and interesting part of the movie, regarding the status of women in Japan, is schematic and slight enough to come out of a very short feminist pamphlet.  It all could've been covered with far more agility.  That's the biggest problem; barely-adapted folk tales like this one can hardly be exepcted to support two hour plus runtimes, and Kaguya should have been around forty minutes shorter.

So eat me.  Anyway, I liked The Wind Rises.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Finished up Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  Previous commentators are right about [spoiler]the court room episodes dragging[/spoiler].  I think part of that is the huge comedown from the delirious heights of [spoiler]Kimmy's in a Love Triangle![/spoiler]

frunk

Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2015, 07:49:32 AM
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Ep. 10. Daddy's Boy: best outro WTF ever. :lmfao:

Damn Straight.  Well, not that straight.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 30, 2015, 08:53:14 PM
I liked Bonfire of the Vanities.

The book was good, but this is a movie and TV thread.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2015, 08:28:42 AM
Better Call Saul:

I must admit, I never saw the major twist comming until the scene where the brother makes a phone call.

[spoiler]I thought Jimmy would lose the case to the big law firm, then take a sly revenge on that asshole partner - leading to the brother's alienation. I never thought it was the brother had been sabotaging him the whole time! Nice payback for Jimmy's loyalty and support. [/spoiler]

My growing problem with this show is that Jimmy is becomming something of a butt-monkey; nothing but nothing goes right for him - despite his hard work and smarts.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtMonkey

I agree with your assessment on Mike. Seeing him being badass is always awesome, and he can carry the drama very well. Must be his droopy face. :D

Jimmy as butt monkey - yes, agreed, though with the twist this episode, [spoiler]with his whole life turned upside down, it might be that he says "fuck all y'all" and becomes Saul - he has a great reason for renouncing his name now.[/spoiler] Indeed, didn't see this coming, and I wonder [spoiler]where this'll leave Hamlin, because he was (possibly unfairly) the target of Jimmy's hate all the time when in fact it all came from his brother. It might turn out that their outward personas and their true characters are actually reversed.[/spoiler]

With season 1 ending next week I would think season 2 [spoiler]will find him trying to find his way without his brother and veering more towards the Slippin' Jimmy kind of persona of which we've already had a few glimpses this season.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Additionally, with his brother still suffering from his "condition," he might now be more willing to consider having his mind checked out.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Every new Mad Max trailer seems crazier and furiouser than the last. Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

It only lacks a "From the director of Happy Feet" line.