And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2014, 03:47:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 23, 2014, 03:21:37 PM
Homeland really didn't have nowhere to go once the main question was resolved at the end of season 1; they still managed to string out some good thriller moments, but should have lasted two seasons max, imho.

So was he or wasn't he a mole?

No spoilers for ongoing shows, dammit :mad:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2014, 03:54:03 PM
No spoilers for ongoing shows, dammit :mad:

We have spoiler tags, you ferocious knucklehead.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 23, 2014, 10:19:42 AM
I wonder how he will destroy at least one classic muscle car in the Star Trek universe? :unsure:
Watch the beginning of the first of the reboots with kid Kirk. ;)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2014, 02:12:50 PM
Joan Robinson is coming to yell at you.

She died.

From sheer disappointment, I bet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

AvP is on TV. They killed off Hot Chick and left me with Ethnic Chick. I'm going to bed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 23, 2014, 02:42:14 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 23, 2014, 02:01:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 23, 2014, 01:22:54 PM
Homeland was a real let down this season.

I binge-watched The Fall though...that was pretty good.

The Fall is just awesome. One of my favorite current TV series.
It is. Though I didn't watch the second series yet as I heard it was awful.

IDK.

It kind of annoyed me.

It pretends to go for psychological realism but can't help but give in to a half-dozen cliches, and at the time I thought there was something weirdly misandrist about it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

Just watched an interview with Lars von Trier about his drinking/drug problems and about "jewery". He's a fascinating and troubled man, and the interview went from really sad to very upbeat and down again a few times.

The journalist is one of the best we have and is also Jewish. The scene where he taught Lars about lightnening the Hanukkah candles was amazing. All with a proficiency of Danish should go watch it on Deadline now.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 23, 2014, 04:52:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2014, 02:12:50 PM
Joan Robinson is coming to yell at you.

She died.

From sheer disappointment, I bet.

Was she a Keynesian? Then probably, yeah.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Divergent: an entertaining C
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2014, 06:06:17 PM
Divergent: an entertaining C

Heh, maybe I should persevered with it, only managed 5-6 minutes when I tried to watch it.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: frunk on December 19, 2014, 08:08:54 PM
I agree with you on which two are the best.  [spoiler]S1 E3 was at least an interesting premise.  They should have done something more than a questioned fidelity thing with it, but I enjoyed the story anyway.[/spoiler]  [spoiler]S1 E1 didn't even have an interesting premise.  It was a standard hostage situation.  Everything that happened could have been done only slightly differently 20 or 30 years ago.[/spoiler]
But S1E1 is very, very funny. 'The Guardian are running a fucking liveblog' :lol:

QuoteI love the concept of British tv series Christmas specials. :D
I had no idea it was a particularly British concept :o

Do they not do it in the US or Poland? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2014, 07:31:55 AM
'Lost in Translation' - Meh, an OK film, but not great.

Though in retrospect over thus subsequent 12 hours, the story has grown on my somewhat.

Not too comfortable with the whole Japanese people not being able to speak English at all well, as nearly all the ones I've know have spoken impeccable English.
Less people know English in Japan then in Korea, though those who do know it, tend to know it well. Which is arguably better than the Korean situation of everyone being a different shade of bad.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Mystery Train (1989). Forgot to say I watched this with my dad. I guess I have a least favorite Jim Jarmusch movie now. Bor-ing.

C+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2014, 06:55:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2014, 07:31:55 AM
'Lost in Translation' - Meh, an OK film, but not great.

Though in retrospect over thus subsequent 12 hours, the story has grown on my somewhat.

Not too comfortable with the whole Japanese people not being able to speak English at all well, as nearly all the ones I've know have spoken impeccable English.
Less people know English in Japan then in Korea, though those who do know it, tend to know it well. Which is arguably better than the Korean situation of everyone being a different shade of bad.

Work harder.  :mad:

Viking

Quote from: Liep on December 23, 2014, 05:15:34 PM
Just watched an interview with Lars von Trier about his drinking/drug problems and about "jewery". He's a fascinating and troubled man, and the interview went from really sad to very upbeat and down again a few times.

The journalist is one of the best we have and is also Jewish. The scene where he taught Lars about lightnening the Hanukkah candles was amazing. All with a proficiency of Danish should go watch it on Deadline now.

I remember his (Krasnik right?) interview with Mads Gilbert and it just goes to show the miserable state of norwegian press that Gilbert was disconbobulated by being asked to explain how he knows what he says and confronted on the consequences of is actions and statements. I sort of wish he could learn how to speak "proper" and he could come to norway from time to time and ask our politicians questions that are on the nose and require answers.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.