News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Maze Runner: A bizarre C+
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Saw the first series of Peaky Blinders. Not bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Viking on December 23, 2014, 07:19:54 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 23, 2014, 05:15:34 PM
Just watched an interview with Lars von Trier about his drinking/drug problems and about "jewery". He's a fascinating and troubled man, and the interview went from really sad to very upbeat and down again a few times.

The journalist is one of the best we have and is also Jewish. The scene where he taught Lars about lightnening the Hanukkah candles was amazing. All with a proficiency of Danish should go watch it on Deadline now.

I remember his (Krasnik right?) interview with Mads Gilbert and it just goes to show the miserable state of norwegian press that Gilbert was disconbobulated by being asked to explain how he knows what he says and confronted on the consequences of is actions and statements. I sort of wish he could learn how to speak "proper" and he could come to norway from time to time and ask our politicians questions that are on the nose and require answers.
I remember that interview. He got a lot of shit afterwards because him being Jewish and all, some people wanted him fired because he so ardently defended Isreal. Luckily the people in charge were there to remind the public that all he did was take down an unprepared or illogical interviewee, and, you know, being Jewish is okay.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

katmai

Re watched Inside Man.

Very good flick-A
Ide would probably hate it and give it a B.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Inside Man is my favorite heist movie, and one of my favorite movies period.  Total A+.  Sorry, charlie.

Syt: it's proto-Pulp Fiction, proto-hipster blargety-blargh-blargh-blargh.  The first vignette is ok, the second is outrageously dull, the third is just boilerplate Stupid Criminal stuff.  It's fitfully funny, but that's all it's got going for it.  For anthology movies largely set in hotels, I recommend Four Rooms instead.  That movie's 3/4 great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

The comment was aimed solely at your bizarro ratings system.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Liep on December 24, 2014, 01:24:52 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 23, 2014, 07:19:54 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 23, 2014, 05:15:34 PM
Just watched an interview with Lars von Trier about his drinking/drug problems and about "jewery". He's a fascinating and troubled man, and the interview went from really sad to very upbeat and down again a few times.

The journalist is one of the best we have and is also Jewish. The scene where he taught Lars about lightnening the Hanukkah candles was amazing. All with a proficiency of Danish should go watch it on Deadline now.

I remember his (Krasnik right?) interview with Mads Gilbert and it just goes to show the miserable state of norwegian press that Gilbert was disconbobulated by being asked to explain how he knows what he says and confronted on the consequences of is actions and statements. I sort of wish he could learn how to speak "proper" and he could come to norway from time to time and ask our politicians questions that are on the nose and require answers.
I remember that interview. He got a lot of shit afterwards because him being Jewish and all, some people wanted him fired because he so ardently defended Isreal. Luckily the people in charge were there to remind the public that all he did was take down an unprepared or illogical interviewee, and, you know, being Jewish is okay.

The fact that his jewishness kept being brought up rather than any actual criticism of the interview itself suggests both latent anti-semitism and an acceptance that journalistic bias is ok as long as we share that bias.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

The Battle Hobbit of the Five Armies: OK.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

The Bee Movie - a bee sues the human race for stealing their honey and violating their worker rights by forcing them into slave labor. They win the case, but this throws off the natural balance and the whole flora of the world dies out as the bees stop working to produce honey (and thus pollinating flowers). Ultimately order is restored as bees start producing honey again, this time in humane conditions (and presumably unionized).

And no, I'm not making a political interpretation of the plot of the film; that's what it's about  :lol:

Admiral Yi

What do they eat while on strike?  :hmm:

celedhring

To be honest, the film pulls off the amazing feat of making a Renee Zellweger character that's likeable.

The entire thing is amazingly absurd, though; it managers to be too weird even for animated film standards. There's even a hint of transpecies love between Seinfeld's bee and Zellweger's florist.

celedhring

Anyway, Christmas eve animated film deluge continues with Polar Express. Wow what a creepy film.

Ed Anger

Christmas Vacation. Shitter's full.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

It's a Wonderful Life :wub:

Now watching the 1954 King's College carol service :)
Let's bomb Russia!