News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

What just straight-up flummoxes me is the adoration for From Russia, With Love.  No Ken Adam.  No cool villain.  Dumb as nails plot.  Racist as fuck.  Arguably not as sexist as the ones where James Bond rapes people, but still pretty sexist.  One hot Bond girl and one fight on a train does not a great movie make.  And the fight on the train with Jaws in Spy is so much better anyway.  I will concede that Daniela Bianchi is 1)hotter and 2)a better actor than Barbara Bach.  But that's it.

If the Craig series represents a reboot, what I'd love to see is a Bond where Spy leads into the events of OHMSS--or, alternately, they do what Spy should've done, and gone ultra-bleak with the ending, with Amasova forcing Bond to kill her--that is, the single thing holding that movie back from being absolute perfection.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2014, 04:17:20 PM
We've had the first argument of Christmas over which Bond film to watch. Family's now split into two rooms watching different films.
My wife and I just had the argument about how we worship God. Your argument is better.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2014, 10:04:00 PM
Before and aide are big dummies with shite taste.

shelf- really arguments over Dalton vs Moore flicks? Ugh.
You have shit taste ass wipe.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Craig is Bond for people who don't care for Bond. Like Ide.

Anything up to 1980 will do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 24, 2014, 11:43:53 PM
Craig is Bond for people who don't care for Bond. Like Ide.

Anything up to 1980 will do.

Craig is Bond for people who want a serious Bond. Not goofy prior Bond bullshit
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Serious Bond?  What a silly notion.

Connery Bond is best Bond.

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 25, 2014, 12:36:59 AM
Serious Bond?  What a silly notion.

Connery Bond is best Bond.
A typical product of it's time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 25, 2014, 12:01:43 AM
Craig is Bond for people who want a serious Bond. Not goofy prior Bond bullshit

Exactly.  Not to mention that so many previous Bond baddies, from Dr. No to the British Guy That Did Those Lexus Commercials Who Wanted To Take Over The World, were all relatively silly.

katmai

Craig Bond is boring Bond.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on December 25, 2014, 01:16:42 AM
ya, boring realistic bond is better served by Jason Bourne anyways. Campy sexist bond is what makes bond movies good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

That is why Connery was the best:

- Campy when it was funny to be so.
- Serious when he needed to be.
- Sexist, always.

Moore:

- Too campy.

Dalton:

- Emo, pensive Bond.

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 25, 2014, 01:33:28 AM

- Sexist, always.

Moore:

- Too campy.

Dalton:

- Emo, pensive Bond.

This is why you suck.

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on December 25, 2014, 01:16:42 AM

You have already established your lack of taste.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 25, 2014, 01:33:28 AM

- Sexist, always.

I certainly appreciate his place in pop culture, as Connery's Bond was definitely a product of the times, and--just as Star Wars was the genesis of the sci-fi craze of the late 70s and early 80s--his was the catalyst that drove the tremendously popular "Secret Agent Man" spy motif of the 1960s, spilling over into everything aspect of consumer culture, from television to music to children's toys.

Doesn't mean the plots weren't for shit, though.  :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son