News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2014, 08:06:32 PM
That's true, that's true.

I also got the feeling that [spoiler]they're going to kill off Rosita (Abraham Ford's chica sidekick) this season mostly based off a few scenes from the trailer video(namely Ford falling to his knees crying), but also that they're not developing her character at all.  Tara seemed like a likely eventual casualty at first, but I think they're going to keep her around instead.[/spoiler]

Grey Fox

Rick, Carl & Daryl are safe. Everyone is fair game but I doubt that Tara, Glenn, Maggie bit it this year.

[spoiler]Bob is going to die, WD can only ever have 1 black dude & currently that's Tyrese[/spoiler]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I don't know why*, but I just watched "Double Jeorpardy". It's a rather stunted revenge thriller, but it got me thinking... I guess the premise is implausible? It's about a guy that fakes his own death and then frames his wife. Wife gets out on parole several years later and finds out he's still alive; since she (allegedly) can't be convicted again for his murder, she sets out to do it for real.

*Besides the fact it stars Ashley Judd at her hottest

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2014, 09:19:09 AM
I don't know why*, but I just watched "Double Jeorpardy". It's a rather stunted revenge thriller, but it got me thinking... I guess the premise is implausible? It's about a guy that fakes his own death and then frames his wife. Wife gets out on parole several years later and finds out he's still alive; since she (allegedly) can't be convicted again for his murder, she sets out to do it for real.

*Besides the fact it stars Ashley Judd at her hottest

Yes you just summarized the plot of Double Jeopardy. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I was just curious about the premise being legally sound. I assume it's not this being Hollywood and all. The wikipedia page of the film cites some law scholar claiming that it would be two separate crimes, despite the "victim" being the same person; one of which she'd been wrongfully convicted, where she would be able to claim compensation; and a different one where she'd be guilty and thus subjected to another conviction.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2014, 09:43:17 AM
I was just curious about the premise being legally sound. I assume it's not this being Hollywood and all. The wikipedia page of the film cites some law scholar claiming that it would be two separate crimes, despite the "victim" being the same person; one of which she'd been wrongfully convicted, where she would be able to claim compensation; and a different one where she'd be guilty and thus subjected to another conviction.

Yup. It isn't the "same crime", hence no actual double jeopardy issues are involved.

Edit: this is part of the unfortunate tendency in fiction to treat laws as, basically, magic mumbo jumbo entirely devoid of sense, so that if only you can seize the right loopholes, or invoke the right 'magic spells' by using the right forms or language, you can literally get away with pretty well anything. In non-fiction, the same tendency results in "freeman" nonsense.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2014, 10:07:30 AM
Edit: this is part of the unfortunate tendency in fiction to treat laws as, basically, magic mumbo jumbo entirely devoid of sense, so that if only you can seize the right loopholes, or invoke the right 'magic spells' by using the right forms or language, you can literally get away with pretty well anything.

Another name for this phenomenon is the "rules of civil procedure"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2014, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2014, 10:07:30 AM
Edit: this is part of the unfortunate tendency in fiction to treat laws as, basically, magic mumbo jumbo entirely devoid of sense, so that if only you can seize the right loopholes, or invoke the right 'magic spells' by using the right forms or language, you can literally get away with pretty well anything.

Another name for this phenomenon is the "rules of civil procedure"

:lol:

Walked right into that one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

X-Men: Days of Future Past; B+
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

The Way, Way Back. Some of the parts at the water park were pretty fun. The parts with the kid's family were really dull. Overall, I'd say it's not really worth bothering with.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Carol and Daryl are my two favorite characters and TWD right now. Given that they are characters that are either already dead (Carol) or created for the series (Daryl) and not in the comic so they are eminently expendable for any comic book related story lines. Carol is really stealing the show imho.

A Single Childless Middle Aged Woman isn't usually depicted in this way in tv or other media.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

It appears Renee Zellweger has changer her looks a tiny bit.

Before:

After:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/21/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/renee-zellweger-new-look/index.html

QuoteRenee Zellweger thinks all of the conversation about her face is "silly."

The actress told People magazine in a statement that "I'm glad folks think I look different! I'm living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows."

The chatter started after Zellweger appeared on the red carpet Monday at the Elle magazine 21st annual Women in Hollywood event. The actress looked so different from her "Jerry Maguire" and "Bridget Jones's Diary" days that some questioned whether it was really the same person.

"The Academy Award-nominated actress is virtually unrecognizable," MoviePilot.com wrote.

Gawker simply posted present and past photos of Zellweger with a note that read, "Since a few people are asking, allow us to be explicit: These are 100 percent photos of Renee Zellweger (the one you are thinking of -- the famous actress), from Getty photos, correctly identified as Renee Zellweger. Other than that, there is nothing remarkable about them."

The speculation about why she looked so different reached such a fevered pitch that Zellweger decided to face it. She said, "It seems the folks who come digging around for some nefarious truth which doesn't exist won't get off my porch until I answer the door."

Zellweger chalks her new look up to a healthier lifestyle.

"My friends say that I look peaceful. I am healthy," she said. "For a long time I wasn't doing such a good job with that. I took on a schedule that is not realistically sustainable and didn't allow for taking care of myself."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

She does not look healthy to me, but whatever, to each his own.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom