And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 23, 2014, 07:41:37 AM
Got Edge of Tomorrow, will watch it this weekend!

There's also Trascendence out here in Spain. I really like all stuff sci-fi, but I'm aware this one got a really bad rap when it came out. What are languishite opinions on it?

Not hugely impressed, wouldn't watch it again, but best to let you make up your mind.

I liked transcendence.  I think the reason it didnt do well is the plot didnt follow the well trodden path. 

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2014, 11:21:18 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 23, 2014, 10:51:46 AM
Rented Prometheus last night.  Not sure what all the hate is about.  I read back over the posts in this thread about it and I didn't get the strong vibes about certain plot features that other people were getting.

If you have an hour to spare and don't mind a very English accent, then this would point out a lot of problems to you: http://blip.tv/film-brain/bad-movie-beatdown-prometheus-megacut-6544805

It takes this to convince someone of what? 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Rented Prometheus last night.  Not sure what all the hate is about.  I read back over the posts in this thread about it and I didn't get the strong vibes about certain plot features that other people were getting.

Me neither.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

I am Number 4- Teenager is an alien from a planet wiped out by bad aliens. He is on earth together with a protector. He looks human  but has powers that make him better than us. Such an original idea. Equally original stuff happens. There are deaths despite it being teenager fayre. Solidly meh.

Lifeforce- Terrible, terrible B movie from the 80s about space vampires. I'd never heard of it before. I had no idea they even made this kind of thing in the 80s.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

The main reason people were annoyed with it, as I recall, is that the plot absolutely relied on people behaving in ways that were relentlessly dumb.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 01:24:14 PM

The main reason people were annoyed with it, as I recall, is that the plot absolutely relied on people behaving in ways that were relentlessly dumb.

That and it was really boring.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 06:22:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2014, 04:29:02 PM
I snuck out to watch Fury the other night. I was entertained, but with reservations.

The movie certainly looked great, and I had no quarrels with the acting. But it seemed to lack something in terms of satisfying plot. Also, the climactic battle seemed unrealistic to me.

[spoiler] It isn't well explained why the SS didn't riddle the stationary tank with the panzerfausts we are shown that they are carrying in abundance. [/spoiler]

I'd say it was a good war movie, but not a truly great one.

I heard one reviewer say it was like watching Das Boot except there are a lot of interesting things going on in a sub and not much to show inside a tank.

I didn't find it boring at all; the action was fast-paced, and the acting was top-notch. It's a long movie but it didn't feel long. 

My issue with it (not so much an issue as an observation) was that there was nothing really new there - other than the tank-on-tank action (which, admittedly, was awesome, but which was not a major portion of the movie).

In summary - worth seeing, but not a truly great war movie.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Nerds getting outraged by people acting stupidly and consistently so over a long period of time; have they not read much human history?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 02:18:37 PM

Nerds getting outraged by people acting stupidly and consistently so over a long period of time; have they not read much human history?  :hmm:

Human history doesn't have a positive obligation to entertain us.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 02:20:37 PM

Human history doesn't have a positive obligation to entertain us.  :P

You can say that again, Brother.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Why do you feel the need to insult people who disagree with your judgement of the movie?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 02:01:11 PM
I snuck out to watch Fury the other night. I was entertained, but with reservations.

The movie certainly looked great, and I had no quarrels with the acting. But it seemed to lack something in terms of satisfying plot. Also, the climactic battle seemed unrealistic to me.

[spoiler] It isn't well explained why the SS didn't riddle the stationary tank with the panzerfausts we are shown that they are carrying in abundance. [/spoiler]

I heard one reviewer say it was like watching Das Boot except there are a lot of interesting things going on in a sub and not much to show inside a tank.

I didn't find it boring at all; the action was fast-paced, and the acting was top-notch. It's a long movie but it didn't feel long. 

My issue with it (not so much an issue as an observation) was that there was nothing really new there - other than the tank-on-tank action (which, admittedly, was awesome, but which was not a major portion of the movie).

Alright, I will give it a go  :)

viper37

Not sure what all the hate is about.
The only survivor is the religious girl, the one who'se a "believer" and carries a cross on her neck.
That's religious propaganda, "only the believers will be saved".

Also the fact that it's pretty stupid.  Build a mega-billion $ ship to go to an unknown planet?  What about probes first?  What about having weapons, even minimal on this ship?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2014, 11:21:18 AM

If you have an hour to spare and don't mind a very English accent, then this would point out a lot of problems to you: http://blip.tv/film-brain/bad-movie-beatdown-prometheus-megacut-6544805

I like how the only good thing about the movie in that review was the icelandic countryside.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2014, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 02:01:11 PM

Alright, I will give it a go  :)

It is pretty unrelentingly grim - be prepared. Lots of mud, corpses, people dangling from lamp-posts, etc.