News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 23, 2014, 10:51:46 AM
Rented Prometheus last night.  Not sure what all the hate is about.  I read back over the posts in this thread about it and I didn't get the strong vibes about certain plot features that other people were getting.

Wait a sec, there was a plot?
Must have missed that scene.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 23, 2014, 04:17:38 PM
Rented Prometheus last night.  Not sure what all the hate is about.  I read back over the posts in this thread about it and I didn't get the strong vibes about certain plot features that other people were getting.

How could you miss it. I thought you people were supposed to be sharp.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

How could you miss it. I thought you people were supposed to be smart.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2014, 01:02:51 PM
I am Number 4- Teenager is an alien from a planet wiped out by bad aliens. He is on earth together with a protector. He looks human  but has powers that make him better than us. Such an original idea. Equally original stuff happens. There are deaths despite it being teenager fayre. Solidly meh.

Lifeforce- Terrible, terrible B movie from the 80s about space vampires. I'd never heard of it before. I had no idea they even made this kind of thing in the 80s.

Are you kidding?  I think pretty much every kind of movie possible was made in the 80's.

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on October 23, 2014, 06:20:11 PM

How could you miss it. I thought you people were supposed to be sharp.

Getting an ill equiped, ill trained, dysfunctional group together to venture into the unknown isnt a plot, its a bad night of DnD.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

On a slight tangent, did we all forget that she gained weight for her role in Bridget Jones?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

My guess on that was people thought it would be amazing and it wasn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2014, 01:24:14 PM

The main reason people were annoyed with it, as I recall, is that the plot absolutely relied on people behaving in ways that were relentlessly dumb.

It's rather the antithesis to Carpenter's The Thing in that regard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on October 23, 2014, 07:12:45 PM
About Renee

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2014/10/22/rene_zellweger_losing_face_in_hollywood_menon.html

QuoteCNN got existential and asked, "Is that you, Renée Zellweger?" Fox News scrambled into the photo archives to investigate: "The many faces of Renée Zellweger."

In Australia, there were rallying cries for the new face. In South Korea, the old face was scrutinized. In London, the new face was mocked. In Paris, the old face was celebrated. In Brazil, there were debates about bad plastic surgery. In West Africa, people had more important things to worry about.

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2014, 08:41:58 PM
On a slight tangent, did we all forget that she gained weight for her role in Bridget Jones?

Many actors gain and lose weight for roles.  What's that go to do with permanently disfiguring oneself with injections of a neurotoxin?

The Brain

Edge of Tomorrow. OK, but nothing special.

Casablanca. Again. :wub:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I liked it, but what the hell is wrong with Americans? [spoiler]Maybe I didn't catch key dialogue, but ten years after the apepocalypse and they're still sitting on their fat asses eating FEMA rations, haven't started agriculture, and haven't been bothered to simply use one of the generators in the city for electricity?[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

I think the idea that there was basically 10 years of banditry and low-scale civil war as civilization collapsed. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2014, 01:43:33 AM
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I liked it, but what the hell is wrong with Americans? [spoiler]Maybe I didn't catch key dialogue, but ten years after the apepocalypse and they're still sitting on their fat asses eating FEMA rations, haven't started agriculture, and haven't been bothered to simply use one of the generators in the city for electricity?[/spoiler]

Never mind that, what did you think about the forest near my house? :D

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2014, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2014, 01:43:33 AM

Never mind that, what did you think about the forest near my house? :D

Forest was nice, your house seemed to need some light repair work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.