News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've started watching American Horror Story. It is strange. I thought it would be scary but instead its like some sort of supernatural drama. Too many different ghosts and plot lines to be scary.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

It's closer to stuff like Twin Peaks than a horror film, imho. I like it quite a bit.

mongers

Oh, 'Fury' was the movie filmed about 20 miles from here, using some of the tank from Bovington tank museum.  :cool:

I shall have to go and see it, especially given the mixed reviews here.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2014, 05:23:38 PM
Just watch 'Gravity' for a 2nd time, its not a good film,

Agreed
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2014, 01:48:00 AM
Except one more thing: I don't know why everyone on Languish has to be a dick, like, all of the time.  I think I'm going to take a break for a little while.

Good idea man.  I hope it will not be too long I do enjoy your reviews.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Watching the latest Sons of Anarchy episode, I came to this conclusion : This show really misses Ron Perlman.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Grallon

I watched a beautiful coming of age movie from the Netherlands - published earlier this year.  It was originally made for TV but due to its success it was launched on the big screen.  Its been garnering prizes left and right since.

It's called "Jongens" - which means 'Boys' in English.

-----

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8rVEFurBE

And here's a couple of glowing reviews:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/boys-jongens-film-review-699129

http://gayvancouver.net/2014-vancouver-queer-arts-festival/movie-review-boys-jongens-is-a-feast-for-the-eyes/

-----

While the usual tropes of 'coming-of-age' movies are revisited - it was done with such a fresh outlook (perhaps the fact the director was a woman had something to do with it?) that you cannot help but be enchanted with it.  From the cinematography - several cuts above what you'd expect from a TV shoot, to the acting - from the impressive to the stellar (in the case of the main protagonist - who's masterful in his subdued acting) - everything here is combined to produce a very poignant portrait of adolescence.  This isn't your typical 'gay' movie, even though the two leads are boys falling in love.  It's rather about the confusion of first love, and also about male bonding in its many forms (between brothers, father & sons, friends and lovers).

The thing I enjoyed the most is the subtlety of the director (again because of the woman factor?) who never uses either sex, drama or tragedy to illustrate her point; in fact you don't a sex scene at all - though the tension is palpable.  The dramatic leaver is rather centered on the main protagonist, a 15yo athlete in love with his team mate, while he grapples with his own confusing desires.

Another asset of the movie is that it stands out of time - only towards the end do we hear the tell tale sound of a text message coming in.  That was also the first time you see a mobile.  It is quite, *quite*, refreshing to see youngsters be youngster again rather than adjuncts to their phones, their faces permanently glued to their godsddamned cells or computer screens.

Finally nowhere in the movie are there any Muslims or hidjabs - no token minority presence...  That was also *extremely* refreshing - particularly since the Netherlands is of one of Europe's most infested land.

This should shown in every school harboring teenagers.

I give it an 8.5 on 10.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Walking Dead episode this week ended in a profoundly disturbing way.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, that was pretty fucked up :lol:

Seriously though, [spoiler]these fucking assholes again?  So soon?[/spoiler]

Scipio

I can't believe people who are allegedly as smart as you are watching that fucking garbage.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Stop projecting your wife's control of the remote on us, man.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 10:58:32 PM

[spoiler]The game's afoot, eh?  :P[/spoiler]

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 20, 2014, 12:09:21 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 10:58:32 PM

[spoiler]The game's afoot, eh?  :P[/spoiler]
[spoiler] you'd think he'd be in more pain. Also, wasn't this a comic book scene? different character but same idea? Won't say too much more as it would be a future spoiler[spoiler]
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.