News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2014, 02:32:49 AM
Watched the second half of Rush, the Formula 1 movie.  There's a whole lot of footage of cars going fast and announcers of sundry nationalities screaming into their mikes.  Not terribly dense on plot.  I'll take a look at the first half some time to see if I'm missing anything.

One thing that struck me is how slow the pit crews were compared to Nascar pit crews.  I understand it's not the real thing; maybe someone who has seen both Nascar and Formula 1 can tell me whether that's accurate or not.

As liep said F1 pit stop have gone from 10 to 2-3seconds, it's mainly because they don't fuel up the cars anymore.

That's what always made the F1 pit stop slower than Nascars, fueling.

Unrelated, I can't believe that Jeff Gordon is now 43! Time flies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Okay, Leftovers is boring. I'm up to the third ep and there's some good drama, but it definitely looks like the mystery element of it not only does take the backseat, it's not even in the trunk.

Does it improve later on?

LaCroix

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2014, 08:08:22 AM
Okay, Leftovers is boring. I'm up to the third ep and there's some good drama, but it definitely looks like the mystery element of it not only does take the backseat, it's not even in the trunk.

Does it improve later on?

:D

if you like the setting and drama, yes. the mystery elements continue, but don't expect it to be like lost where it's at the forefront. i suggest at least watching episode 4 (widely considered the series's first really great episode) since you're right there. episode 6 is another landmark. and the final four episodes are where things really kick up.

(edit) wait, episode 3 is what i'm thinking about. episode 4 is probably the series's worst episode. :lol: if that episode didn't do it for you, then i dunno. drama gets better, mystery stuff gets more involved (kind of).

celedhring

Episode 3 was the one where the preacher has a really shitty day. It was decent, but also the one that made me realize this is not a mystery series.

I like character drama, but I sort of expected to have more mystery/genre stuff in the series.

Josephus

It was a weird show. It was a bit like a car accident where you just HAD to keep watching. I don't know. Maybe if I was a 20-year-old hipster I would rave about how good it was.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

"Saving Mr. Banks"

Walt Disney tries to manage a very high maintenance Aussie/Brit author of Mary Poppins.

He does that for two hours, so not much to see here.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
"Saving Mr. Banks"

Walt Disney tries to manage a very high maintenance Aussie/Brit author of Mary Poppins.

He does that for two hours, so not much to see here.

Yeah unlike some people who said earlier in this thread that they liked it - I recall feeling like I was glad I didn't see it in theaters. Love Emma Thompson but not that film.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I liked the chirpy junior secretary.

mongers

Just watch 'Gravity' for a 2nd time, its not a good film, its an excellent one; a nicely self-contained premise that works itself out perfectly over the length of the film.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2014, 02:37:13 AM
EDIT: Yes, Nascar pit crews were also slow in the 70's, http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/7/16/evolution-of-the-nascar-pit-stop-nascar-hall-of-fame.html

Cool little video and article.

But you guys are clearly stoned with your 2.6 seconds.  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2014, 01:48:00 AM
Except one more thing: I don't know why everyone on Languish has to be a dick, like, all of the time.  I think I'm going to take a break for a little while.

I am extremely angry with the world at this particular point in my life and all of you unfortunately happen to be in it.  Deal.

Ed Anger

Me and Seedy remain buds, because he knows I'll trans-dimensionally shift into his basement and punch his cat in the fart box.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

You're nothing but talk. 

11B4V

Except one more thing: I don't know why everyone on Languish has to be a dick, like, all of the time.  I think I'm going to take a break for a little while.
Dont be a pussy. Tim puts up with way more shit and still hangs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I hear you, bro.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.