News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think one thing that would have improved 12 Years is if they had highlighted more of the internal development of the main character: I've landed in this totally shit life and my chances of getting out are slim, so what do I do with myself.  That would have elevated the movie from documentary status to after school special at least.

Sheilbh

:lol: The show was called 'Bunkers, Brutalism and Bloody­mindedness: Concrete Poetry'.

One reviewer pointed out that Meades' confidence in Brutalism is so strong that he spent the first episode mainly listing the problems with it: ugly, cold, totalitarian. He even spent a good amount insulting the first evangelist of British Brutalism, a man 'trampled over his grandmother to snuggle up to a passing trend'.

And of course in terms of legacy Nazi bunkers have proved far more influential than Speer.

Edit:
QuoteI think one thing that would have improved 12 Years is if they had highlighted more of the internal development of the main character: I've landed in this totally shit life and my chances of getting out are slim, so what do I do with myself.  That would have elevated the movie from documentary status to after school special at least.
But isn't there the same problem there that I mentioned to Viking?
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2014, 05:34:51 PM
Plot matters in some films.

For me I don't think 12 Years A Slave needed 'plot' and I think it would've kind of been a lie, given the subject of the film.

Well, in that case, is this a movie that needed to be made? Perhaps Pudd'nhead Wilson would have worked better? At least it has a plot and a character arc.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2014, 05:53:14 PM
QuoteI think one thing that would have improved 12 Years is if they had highlighted more of the internal development of the main character: I've landed in this totally shit life and my chances of getting out are slim, so what do I do with myself.  That would have elevated the movie from documentary status to after school special at least.
But isn't there the same problem there that I mentioned to Viking?

No, you seemed to claim that it worked fine without a plot or character development.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2014, 05:53:14 PM
:lol: The show was called 'Bunkers, Brutalism and Bloody­mindedness: Concrete Poetry'.

One reviewer pointed out that Meades' confidence in Brutalism is so strong that he spent the first episode mainly listing the problems with it: ugly, cold, totalitarian. He even spent a good amount insulting the first evangelist of British Brutalism, a man 'trampled over his grandmother to snuggle up to a passing trend'.

And of course in terms of legacy Nazi bunkers have proved far more influential than Speer.

Heh, I had the misfortune of spending my undergraduate years looking up books in a "masterpiece" of Brutalism right here in Toronto: Robarts Library.

The place was designed to treat students with the contempt they so obviously deserve.  :D Why else would a rational person deliberately make a reference library set on a triangular floor-plan, thus making looking up books as confusing as possible?  :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robarts_Library

I loved these two notes:

QuoteRobarts Library is thought to be the model for the secret library in Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. Eco spent much of the time writing the novel at the University of Toronto, and the stairwell of the secret library bears a particularly strong resemblance to that in Robarts Library.[4]

Robarts was used for exterior shots of the prison setting in Resident Evil: Afterlife. The entire building is visible numerous times, having been digitally edited and transplanted from its downtown Toronto location to Los Angeles. In the film, it has been surrounded by a prison wall and hundreds of thousands of zombies.

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2014, 05:57:34 PM
Well, in that case, is this a movie that needed to be made?
That's a rubbish limit for any art. Purposiveness without purpose and all that.

QuoteNo, you seemed to claim that it worked fine without a plot or character development.
It made the film better. Although admittedly my view is that it's almost perfect. The film's about this man's life as a slave and it presents slavery more fully, I feel, than similar movies I've seen. The views of slaveholders are represented, but so's the sound of cotton-picking and the physical lives of slaves.

I think once you get into plot or character development you're putting that at risk. At best I think it would clutter the film. At worst I think it would contradict what the film seems to be trying to do, by creating a story and a meaning. We do that enough anyway because it's an individual memoir, so we know Northrup leaves. I don't think it needs more than that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on February 24, 2014, 06:13:05 PM
Heh, I had the misfortune of spending my undergraduate years looking up books in a "masterpiece" of Brutalism right here in Toronto: Robarts Library.
:mmm:

There's a couple of Brutalist classics in Quebec too:
http://manchesterhistory.net/architecture/1970/loewshotel.html
http://inhabitat.com/habitat-67-montreals-prefab-pixel-city/

QuoteThe place was designed to treat students with the contempt they so obviously deserve.  :D Why else would a rational person deliberately make a reference library set on a triangular floor-plan, thus making looking up books as confusing as possible?  :lol:
There was a great line in the second episode. Roughly that 'Brutalism demanded an audience and then proceeded to assault them' :lol:

The Eco fact's really wonderful though. That man's an absolute magpie.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2014, 06:18:40 PM
There's a couple of Brutalist classics in Quebec too:
http://manchesterhistory.net/architecture/1970/loewshotel.html
Sadly, no longer an hotel, and no more restaurant at the top of it :(
But it was recognized as emblematic of Quebec city, just as much as the Château Frontenac.

http://inhabitat.com/habitat-67-montreals-prefab-pixel-city/
that's just plain ugly.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2014, 05:18:01 PM
12 Years a Slave - like every real life story doesn't have a narrative character arc, but is merely a sequence of events (in this case all shitty events) in a life.

I don't think that's true for every life story.

How about Oskar Schindler, he had a character arc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

I've never watched True Detective. Or get HBO.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 24, 2014, 11:21:03 PM
I've never watched True Detective. Or get HBO.

Don't like Boobs?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive