And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 01:14:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2014, 06:29:35 PM

Hey QQ, I forwarded that piece on True Detective you posted a little while back on the "King in Yellow" (which, and I didn't know until I read it myself, was written by a Baltimore author I've met before, no less);  totally blew her mind, and she's rewatching all the episodes right now looking for as many references as she can find.  ;)

The author didn't recognize her own references?  :huh:

I forgot "to my Mom" in that post.  Oops. :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2014, 08:20:08 AM
Making my way slowly through TNG. Finally left the slog of S.1&2 behind.

:bleeding: Ugh, the writing and character development for those early seasons sucked so hard, I was surprised it actually survived.  Then again, it was goofs like me who kept watching it so it would stay alive.  :lol:

The writing really didn't get going, IMHO, until late until Season 3.

Josquius

I'm not too far ahead on TNG. I just finished the one where they discover an ancient battleground which somehow infects them with a virus. Meanwhile, the main point of the plot, Geordie gets all mopey that he can't get laid, Whoopie Goldberg makes an amusing comment about 'taking care of herself', and then Geordie gets the hots for a hologram of an engineer lady.
Finally they get out of the situation using a quick burst of impulse and thrusters...which they should have realised they could have done right at the start.
I was only half watching it. It was dull.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2014, 10:37:23 AM

:bleeding: Ugh, the writing and character development for those early seasons sucked so hard, I was surprised it actually survived.  Then again, it was goofs like me who kept watching it so it would stay alive.  :lol:

I'm one of them too. Even when I was younger I thought it was kinda lame, though it did improve quite a bit.  Not as good as DS9 though.
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2014, 05:55:59 PM
House of Cards, Season 2...

[spoiler]Episode 1 had that nice WTF moment for the Season opener...and episode 11?  I'll just call it the "everyone is gay" episode.  :lol:[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Finally finishes the season last night.  Overall I thought it started off strong, but got weaker towards the end.  And I thought Underwood becoming President in the same way that Gerald Ford did, was rather weak.  But admittedly, the other realistic options in our system (basically, death...either natural, suicide, or assassination) would probably have been worse.

The whole bisexual threesome non sequiter with his favorite SS agent just seemed like an unnecessarily silly attempt to add some cheap drama.  Though I did think I saw an eventual "Meechum is going to bugger his wife" a few episodes back.  :P
[/spoiler]

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2014, 10:37:23 AM

Oh, I wasn't any better. :P Seasons 1 and 2 have the occasional highlight (like "Measure of a Man"), but mid to late season 3 to season 5 or 6 is the golden age. It's pretty good up till the end, but the quality drops in the last two season, IMHO.

I find funny, though, that considering the tone, VOY and DS9, in hindsight had their premises mixed up. DS9 started with the premise of exploring all new territory through the wromhole and ended up rather grim and taking a hard look at the Federation and their ideals when they come under existential threat.

VOY started with a premise of being stranded in uncharted territory, with hostile crew forced to work together and trying to survive. In less than a season it's mostly reduced to anomaly/aliens of the week. DS9 style writing for VOY could have made the show awesome instead of "meh" with the occasional dip up or down in quality. Think of "Year of Hell", or what happened to the USS Equinox for some of the potential. Battlestar Galactica would go to show that there was room for that desperate "on the run" kind of concept in space.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Mrs. CC has been wanting me to watch Downton Abbey.  This weekend I have been down for the count with a bad cold so when the Olympics havent been on I watched it.  Despite my bias going in thinking it was just a chick flick series, I really liked it.  Net Flixs only had the first two seasons so now I have to wait for the third to come out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2014, 12:22:37 PM
Mrs. CC has been wanting me to watch Downton Abbey.  This weekend I have been down for the count with a bad cold so when the Olympics havent been on I watched it.  Despite my bias going in thinking it was just a chick flick series, I really liked it.  Net Flixs only had the first two seasons so now I have to wait for the third to come out.

Meh, my brother-in-law watches that, but he's a bit foppish anyway.

If you want to watch it all, download the official PBS app to your tablet or smart phone, they have all the seasons, up to the current one, IIRC.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2014, 12:18:15 PM
Battlestar Galactica would go to show that there was room for that desperate "on the run" kind of concept in space.

BSG was great at providing so many metaphors for the fucked up post-9/11 American psyche.

Eddie Teach

@Toni- [spoiler]The bisexual thing had been previously brought up in the episode with Frank's college buddies[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 02:20:35 PM
@Toni- [spoiler]The bisexual thing had been previously brought up in the episode with Frank's college buddies[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I think he's just actually gay.[/spoiler]

Anyone else excited for TD?  Also, [spoiler]I think the beer cutouts were the audience, and the "flat circle" the series, with us being able to examine it over and over again.[/spoiler]
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2014, 02:20:35 PM

[spoiler]Was that in the first season?  Or did I overlook that in this season?  I did fall asleep one night watching the second season...though I thought I backtracked enough[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]I think he's just actually gay.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Could be...as his marriage seems mostly a friendly power-partnership, and his fucking the journalist from Season 1 was definitely more of a manipulation thing.  But aren't gays oppressed enough without portraying them as power-hungry villains?  :mad: [/spoiler]

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 23, 2014, 02:55:32 PM
[spoiler] But aren't gays oppressed enough without portraying them as power-hungry villains?  :mad: [/spoiler]

Why not;  Languish's are.

Razgovory

A realistic portrayal of garbon in a film would cause the film to be labeled homophobic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.