And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on February 19, 2014, 02:15:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 19, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
Elaborate on the Finnish Civil War episode.

Satan is a red monk.  He uses the schoolhouse to deliver red lectures to workers.  One of his converts lusts after the wife of a white communication officer.  One of the older men he ordered executed has a daughter who joins the white army.  The red convert rats out the white communication officer.  The red irregulars seize the white officer's house.  Red convert tries to rape white officer's wife, but Satan stops him, for the time being.  The reds order the communication officer to send a telegraph that would lead his comrades into a trap.  He refuses.  They order the wife to do the same, threatening to kill her husband.  She refuses.  They drag him outside to be shot.  Satan says that if she doesn't cooperate he'll have her children executed.  She prays for strength to resist temptation, and, in the lull as they wait for the firing squad to return, she stealthily grabs a knife and stabs herself in the heart.  Just as her husband is about to be executed the white daughter shows up and threatens to hand grenade the red firing squad unless they surrender.  They surrender and the white army shows up.  They and the husband go back to the home, capture the reds but find it was too late to save the wife.  Long live Finland!

Civil war is not nice. :(

FCW hijack.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 02:54:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2014, 02:49:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 02:44:31 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2014, 02:41:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 01:49:52 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2014, 01:33:59 PM
That would have made it more like your run of the mill TV biopic. It was more interesting that way.

It was dramatic, not interesting.

I liked it, it wasn't the movie I expected, and in a good way. I already know of Thatcher's time and politics

You do rememeber that my point was that this movie could really only be enjoyed by people that already knew those things right?

No, because that isn't what the movie is about. As you say, the politics and history stuff take backseat in favor of personal stuff; her mental and physical twilight, how her career affected the relationship with her family. What's there for the Iron Lady once she's no longer the Iron Lady.

So instead of finding a movie telling me something I already knew, I found a movie looking at the character from a different light. As said, a pleasant surprise.

But you can only appreciate that character study because you already know the background story.  It assumes the viewer can make sense of the various vignettes of her career because they already know what is going on.  Without that background knowledge the movie would make little sense.

You have a point there, but I think it is germane from the filmmakers to expect that somebody who might be interested in a character study of Margaret Thatcher would be familiar with his public life and achievements.

Mind, it isn't a perfect film by any means and possibly a better balance could've been struck, but I liked what they tried to do and I believe it resulted in a better film than if they focused on chronicling his political struggles and achievements. There's probably lots of great documentaries that already do that.

garbon

His public life?

Btw, I had originally been interested in seeing it but stayed away because of what CC mentioned. I don't actually know much about her though given that she falls right in that gap not covered by school of history around when one was born.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2014, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2014, 05:24:23 PM
His public life?

Ooops, I just spoiled the surprise ending  :Embarrass:

wasn't that much of a surprise really.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 06:36:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 18, 2014, 06:19:08 PM
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is the longest continuous bridge passing over water, the waters of New Orleans's Lake Pontchartrain to be exact. The bridge is so long that for 8 of its 24 miles, you can't see land in any direction.

yowza
It's not that impressive, because the fucking Hwy 11 bridge is right there next to it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2014, 06:22:14 PM
To me the issue with Lena is that she has created this delusional world in which a fat homely girl is pursued by a never ending stream of normal looking or attractive men.  Also that she's fat and homely.
How is that different from all the sitcoms where fat morons are married to beautiful women.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2014, 09:03:48 PM
To me the issue with Lena is that she has created this delusional world in which a fat homely girl is pursued by a never ending stream of normal looking or attractive men.  Also that she's fat and homely.
How is that different from all the sitcoms where fat morons are married to beautiful women.

We've bashed that premise as well.

Tonitrus

I've recently seen that phenomenon a fair number of times in real life.

jimmy olsen

Watched Avatar for the first time - Great special effects and cinematography, but it was basically Dances with Blue Cat People in Space. The Navi were laughably generic Native American stereotypes.

B

Watched Dredd - Great action scenes, acting and most importantly atmosphere. It really sold the bleak despair of the future and Megacity 1.

A 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

The never ending stream I guess. Lightning can strike once
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2014, 09:25:53 PM

Watched Dredd - Great action scenes, acting and most importantly atmosphere. It really sold the bleak despair of the future and Megacity 1.

A

One of the surprises of the last year for me. I almost missed it assuming it would be just another crappy B-superhero film.

Josquius

Yeah, it was good, wonder if they'll do another
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I repeat myself.

Shameless (US) is worth watching. This season's been great.

The lead actress is no Lena Dunham, but she's still worth watching.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011