News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Are there any Almodovar films without homosexual characters? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 02, 2014, 12:09:57 AM
Are there any Almodovar films without homosexual characters? :unsure:

The Skin I Live In. :P

[spoiler]Horrifyingly so.  In theory, anyway.  The first sex scene with Vera/Vincente is the rape by the plot intruder/Tiger Guy and it's treated as something like farce.  I disliked it on, like, every level--from having nothing to actually do with the story, to her/his weird non-reaction.  The latter made more sense later, but I still wasn't having it.  Especially when the other "rape" victim in the movie, the surgeon's daughter, who was not in any legal or moral sense actually raped, is made to go in the other direction, treating her non-rape as not just a life-destroying but mind-destroying event.  I don't think Almodovar's point was that a Y chromosome makes you superior and able to triumph over all forms of violation, whereas a double-X means mental instability, submission, weakness, and an inability to realize you consented to sex; but that's, yeah, kind of the point of the movie he made.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, wait, I forgot the lesbian in the featured extra role.  My bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

I find that lesbians usually feature extra rolls.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

I've known a fair number of attractive ones.  Worked with a butch lesbian that was, I thought, really strikingly pretty (others disagreed because she had short hair and didn't wear makeup like a clown, I guess; but in fairness, my opinion is based largely on her fulfillment of my main criterion for "hot").  She had a very conventionally attractive girlfriend, who was lipstick lesbian all the way, and looked kind of like an actress from the 1940s.  My sister is better looking than I am, and has a lower BMI than I do now, and maybe have ever had other than my Unemployed Period (2011).  Her first girlfriend was gloriously beautiful in a (pretty literally) heroin chic way.

Now her immediate ex-girlfriend is not a sexy woman, and was fully possessed of the billowings which you describe.  When my sister described how she was pretty much never attracted to her, I felt a deep pang of genetic solidarity with her for the first time in my entire life, realizing then that blood truly is, as liquids go, pretty thick indeed.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Watched all of Oblivion. A'alright I guess.

My pet peeve with the movie was the drones looked exactly like this:  :mad:

Made it a little hard to take them seriously.

Admiral Yi

Also saw the preview for Robocop and it looks like a total Iron Man rip off.

The Brain

I like my movies with lipstick thespians.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

They're probably not gonna remake Die Hard until the sequels run dry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

katmai

Not that I can recall off top of my head.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

Quote from: katmai on February 02, 2014, 07:45:14 AM
Not that I can recall off top of my head.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I don't think "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" did. :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Talk to Her has a character who pretends to be gay, but that's about it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."