Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Dare? Bet? Sexual blackmail?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2014, 09:21:38 AM(and not good nonsensical as in The Joker

+1 the thing that truly makes the joker the ultimate villain for comics and movies is that his plot's don't have to make sense. In fact if the Joker's plot didn't have a whole bunch of continuity errors, plot holes, non-sequiters and down right contradictions they'd be doing it wrong.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

I binge watched True Detective yesterday. Really excited about it, although the diatribes that McConawhatshisname and Harrelson indulge in are way too pedantic for my tastes and sound quite unrealistic, it's as if they were in a play.

By the way... [spoiler]is it me or are there Lovecraftian undertones in the investigation? Carcosa...The King in Yellow...[/spoiler]

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on February 01, 2014, 12:21:40 AM
The Skin I Live In (2011).  I'd never seen a Pedro Almodovar movie before, but I'm getting I'm So Excited! in a few days, so I watched this, his last movie (...)

I'm not sure if that is the best way to get introduced to Almodóvar. His last film (I'm so Excited!) is supposed to be a throwback to his early days of crazy, extravagant and hedonistic comedies, but it was brutally panned by the critics over here. Why don't you start with other, earlier films?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 07:16:10 PM
And Darth would be around 85?  :huh:

He blew up Alderan because their children kept getting on his lawn.

Luke:  I'll never join you.

Darth Vader:  Of course you won't.  You kids today with your Millennium Falcons and your wookies and your holographic projectors.  You don't realize how good you have it.  Back in my day we didn't have all that.  All we had were rocks and the force and we liked it.  It taught us values like respect for our own parents.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

I just watched "Her". Amazing film and scarily beliveable portrayal of a near future on its way to distopia.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on February 01, 2014, 06:53:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 07:16:10 PM
And Darth would be around 85?  :huh:

He blew up Alderan because their children kept getting on his lawn.

Luke:  I'll never join you.

Darth Vader:  Of course you won't.  You kids today with your Millennium Falcons and your wookies and your holographic projectors.  You don't realize how good you have it.  Back in my day we didn't have all that.  All we had were rocks and the force and we liked it.  It taught us values like respect for our own parents.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 07:55:56 PM
The first series of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes is free on ITV Player! :w00t:
Three down. Weirdly (as I think they're in order) I'd already read all three stories... :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2014, 11:16:49 AM
The Skin I Live In (2011).  I'd never seen a Pedro Almodovar movie before, but I'm getting I'm So Excited! in a few days, so I watched this, his last movie (...)

I'm not sure if that is the best way to get introduced to Almodóvar. His last film (I'm so Excited!) is supposed to be a throwback to his early days of crazy, extravagant and hedonistic comedies, but it was brutally panned by the critics over here. Why don't you start with other, earlier films?

Because I wanted to watch a crazy, extravagant and perverse sex thriller.  I was certainly not cheated.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on February 01, 2014, 08:58:28 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2014, 11:16:49 AM

Because I wanted to watch a crazy, extravagant and perverse sex thriller.  I was certainly not cheated.

Then you should also watch "Tie me up, tie me down", an earlier film of his with a similar premise, but no doctors or cosmetic surgery are involved there.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on February 01, 2014, 08:58:28 PM
Because I wanted to watch a crazy, extravagant and perverse sex thriller. 
You've already said you wanted to watch an Almodovar, Larch is just doubting if that's the best one to start with :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I figured I'd start with what I was most comfortable with. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Homosexual flight attendants? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2014, 11:55:35 PM
Homosexual flight attendants? :unsure:

That's what I'm second most comfortable with, I guess. :D

Well, I have to watch I'm So Excited.  It's 2013 vintage, is from a significant filmmaker, and I'm 19 films off from my goal off 100.  (There aren't really 100 significant filmmakers who made films in 2013, so one from Almodovar is better than, oh, Renny Harlin.  Although I'm probably gonna wind up watching Bruce Willis die hard cashing his check too. -_- )
Kinemalogue