News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 06:20:00 PM
I dunno.  Catching Fire wasn't staggeringly inept.  It was such a tremendous improvement, that if they continue at the same rate, the fourth movie will be better than Flash Gordon Vertigo.

I agree, however, the source material for the last two movies isn't very good. 3rd book feels like Collins realized she needed to wrap up the trilogy and went overboard.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2014, 02:53:53 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2014, 02:26:49 PMThe point was to illustrate just how out of whack the society has become, with the wealthy capital citizens being so over stimulated living off the slaves of the districts that their society has become essentially a parody, which even some of the people who live their have come to recognize, although most are blissfully unaware of just how ridiculous they have become.

I thought it was pretty obvious myself - you can argue that it isn't plausible, I suppose, but that is true for almost any future society. It is one possible result of a infinite number of possible results.
i think it was a very poor and immature way to represent that. there are plenty of movies that show a dystopian world where the elite are unconcerned with the plight of the under-society and live lavishly better than what we saw in hunger games. dressing the rich up in ludicrous costumes and hairstyles is cheap and easy, when they could have instead devoted a few (short) scenes to illustrate its point instead - which would have fleshed the world out in a superior way
Still, don't you think it kinda rings true?  I mean, their society isn't really all that different from our own, except that the divides are not by class but by nationality.  We have ridiculously-dressed people today, whether it's teens with their stupid ear-stretching discs, or garbon with his rainbow-brite hair.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Pretty sure my hair hasn't been any bright color for at least 6-7 years now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

But you live in District 1! :o
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 06:40:11 PM

Every map out there seems to suggest NYC would fall within or very near District 13.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2014, 06:39:22 PM
Some things don't wash out.  The stain of having had silly hair colours is one of them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2014, 06:44:21 PM

Every map out there seems to suggest NYC would fall within or very near District 13.

What happened to the buildings?  That's like saying it's in Gaza but the pyramids aren't there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 07:03:28 PM
What happened to the buildings?  That's like saying it's in Gaza but the pyramids aren't there.
I don't think there are any pyramids in Gaza. 

garbon

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2014, 06:46:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2014, 06:39:22 PM
Some things don't wash out.  The stain of having had silly hair colours is one of them.

So Canada isn't big on science, eh?

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2014, 07:03:28 PM

They're underwater.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

LaCroix

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2014, 06:36:59 PMtill, don't you think it kinda rings true?  I mean, their society isn't really all that different from our own, except that the divides are not by class but by nationality.  We have ridiculously-dressed people today, whether it's teens with their stupid ear-stretching discs, or garbon with his rainbow-brite hair.

in my experience, those with gaged ears come from the lower classes, either middle or low. not always, but usually. the elite tend to be more conservative fashioned, yet it was the opposite here. they wore clothes and had styles that made no sense. there seemed to be no rhythm to it, just a mess. one could argue that's what they were going for, but it's an aesthetic choice that i don't think fit well. it was too comical, outlandish

garbon

I don't know. Later 19th century fashions were pretty outlandish.

Admiral Yi

18th century royal court fashion was pretty nutty.

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2014, 07:30:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2014, 06:36:59 PMtill, don't you think it kinda rings true?  I mean, their society isn't really all that different from our own, except that the divides are not by class but by nationality.  We have ridiculously-dressed people today, whether it's teens with their stupid ear-stretching discs, or garbon with his rainbow-brite hair.

in my experience, those with gaged ears come from the lower classes, either middle or low. not always, but usually. the elite tend to be more conservative fashioned, yet it was the opposite here. they wore clothes and had styles that made no sense. there seemed to be no rhythm to it, just a mess. one could argue that's what they were going for, but it's an aesthetic choice that i don't think fit well. it was too comical, outlandish
Yeah, but lower-class westerners are still idle rich in a global sense.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2014, 07:36:57 PM

Things I've watched lately, some of which I will review:

Byzantium (2013).  Boredom!  Stupidity!  Breasts!  (Spellus, you make a fine point, though someone needs to run her character through about five hundred "rain in Spains.") C
Your scale is fucking weird!
C is supposed to be "average", and you said previously it wasn't "bad".
Byzantium deserves no better than D+, and I'm in a generous mood tonight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.