Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 17, 2013, 06:27:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2013, 06:25:41 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2013, 05:55:23 PM
So...Homeland. No discussion?

Claire Danes is a bit ugly
I think it's because she's always weeping and is....not an attractive cryer :bleeding: :weep:

It's called acting. I blame the writers for making Carrie the crying wet rag she is.

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2013, 06:25:41 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2013, 05:55:23 PM
So...Homeland. No discussion?

Claire Danes is a bit ugly

No, she isn't.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on December 17, 2013, 06:31:04 PM
It's called acting. I blame the writers for making Carrie the crying wet rag she is.
Sure, it's just a Homeland thing :P
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tommywes/the-best-of-the-claire-danes-cry-face-project
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

She's three parts cute and two parts plain.

I remember reading a review of Romeo and Juliet that argued she was cast opposite di Caprio because she was the kind of girl their target teenie bopper audience would not be jealous of.

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

I poop more attractive things.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Watching Pushing Daisies.  Brian Fuller has fantastic taste in brunettes for a gay man. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Tangled (2010).  Welcome to The Little Mermaid with the rough sexual edges sanded off (and hastily reapplied in the last act), with less good songs (but not bad songs), and in 3D... but despite some still-plasticky character animation on occasion and cartoon violence that is more viscerally distressing than it is funny, it's a really beautiful film that takes the utmost advantage of its CGI tools, and where Tangled shines (ha ha) is the lighting effects that could not be easily done, if done at all, in 2D.  The lantern sequence is, possibly, the most single-mindedly beautiful thing in any movie in the Disney animated canon.

I also liked the story, which moved me with its refreshing return to a variation on the successful formula.  True, it has its problems.  The entire world, other than her sickeningly evil "foster mother," may bend over backwards for Rapunzel--another contrast to The Little Mermaid, wherein for most of the picture Ariel is effectively alone, not counting her useless friends, against an inhospitable world--but you never entirely blame it.  This movie failed to pull an Oldboy with its long-confined protagonist either, but it didn't have the same dark tone of Frozen, so it was never an issue.

Indeed, I have to admit that my impressions about this movie were wrong in practically every detail.  The ad campaign made it seem like a Dreamworksian venture in smug anachronistic garbage, and while there are some lines here and there that do approach that (the "smolder" line is possibly marginally worse in context), they're few and far between, and tend to simply be phrases that stand out from the setting, like the overuse of "like" as a speech disfluency, and "freak out," a term younger than many people alive today.  Oh well, Ariel said "gosh."  Who is your Gosh?  Is it Neptune?

Ultimately, it's a movie about how a skinny blonde becomes a brunette, and the bob cut that saved her life and brought everyone she loved immeasurable happiness.  THE END!

A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

I want you to review "How to train your Dragon" next.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Beats reviewing The Desolation of Smaug.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2013, 07:16:51 AM
Don't anger up my blood boy! :ultra:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I watched a kid's film today too.
Megamind.
It promised so much and as expected didn't quite deliver on all it promised...but it was somewhat enjoyable nonetheless.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2013, 07:16:51 AM
I enjoyed that film.  It felt like an adventure without being too much of an action film.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.