News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I can buy things to eat and to wear, with credit, debit, or cash. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

It is always amusing to see what details the Languish mob focuses on to give Ide shit.  ;)

Anyway, I've never had any ambition to see this Frances Ha! movie, but I take it that the movie depicts Ide's generation as one of feckless vipers - which much of Languish would find a just and fitting commentary :smug:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on December 16, 2013, 02:08:19 PM
It is always amusing to see what details the Languish mob focuses on to give Ide shit.  ;)

He brought this one on himself as being overly obsessed over a monetary transaction in the film and then took swipes against cities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Anyway, I've never had any ambition to see this Frances Ha! movie, but I take it that the movie depicts Ide's generation as one of feckless vipers - which much of Languish would find a just and fitting commentary :smug:

Read the review and find out!

...Or not.  :( In sum, it doesn't really, because it's not a satire.  If it's a libel, it's an unconscious one; it thinks that it's bohemian and cute.

The result is a movie that can satisfy no one except people who really do think this fantasy of arrested development really is both true and cute.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Just saw 12 Years a Slave.  In a theater no less!

Boring.  Nothing really interesting happens. 

C

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2013, 04:47:23 PM
Just saw 12 Years a Slave.  In a theater no less!

Boring.  Nothing really interesting happens. 

C

What about the tinge?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Ooh, the copies of Altered States and Syriana I ordered finally got here in the mail.  And yet another slightly broken case.  USPS is the best, and they're still shit. <_<

No word on the Aladdin BD from the UK that was supposed to be part of the same order.  I think it must coming either by boat or by Tom Hanks' FedEx plane. -_-
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Hey Ide, I wonder if you can turn this reviewing-thing into a paying hobby.

If you annoy this many on Languish, imagine how many you can annoy with wider distribution!  :D

But seriously, it seems to be a real passion, and your reviews are always interesting - even if I don't agree with 'em.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 04:59:29 PM
Ooh, the copies of Altered States and Syriana I ordered finally got here in the mail.  And yet another slightly broken case.  USPS is the best, and they're still shit. <_<

No word on the Aladdin BD from the UK that was supposed to be part of the same order.  I think it must coming either by boat or by Tom Hanks' FedEx plane. -_-
Don't you have a blog?  Why not put the link in your sig?  Why not put some ads on there and generate a revenue, even if tiny at first? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 04:48:29 PM
Fuck's sake, Yi.

It's obvious Oscar bait and the PC crowd is going to swoon over it, but it really is dull as hell.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 16, 2013, 05:01:43 PM
Hey Ide, I wonder if you can turn this reviewing-thing into a paying hobby.

If you annoy this many on Languish, imagine how many you can annoy with wider distribution!  :D

But seriously, it seems to be a real passion, and your reviews are always interesting - even if I don't agree with 'em.  ;)

:) I am bristly.

But I don't think I should get paid.  It's only marginally creative work, and I'm not that good at it yet even if it did increase the wealth of society in a direct and meaningful way.  No, I should get paid for productive work, not for a hobby that predominately functions as a way to organize my depression, provide me a platform for radical slogans, and serves my need to be smarter and of better taste than some imaginary enemy.

I would very much like to get more traffic for the sake of attention and validation, which is what I desire more than money.  I don't know how to do that though.  Tim Brayton of Antagonie and Ecstasy, another blog, did it (and I do love his work, even though sometimes I think his taste is dodgy--he didn't like Speed Racer or Tron: Legacy or John Carter! and only marginally appreciated Days of Thunder).  I think his trick was starting five years ago.

Edit: also being very prolific, to the extent I don't think he has a real job.  I don't have a real job either, but I have a slightly less fake job, which is why I only made three posts in November. -_-  Granted, one was 4000 words or so.  Which I think is a missing niche.  Other than Brayton, I don't know of anyone who is doing long-form criticism.  So many film critics, or rather reviewers, are complete nothings, bon mot, quick synopsis, snarky comment, something interesting about the film, or its production, bon mot, star rating, all in 400 words.  If that's all you ever do, why bother?
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2013, 05:18:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 04:48:29 PM
Fuck's sake, Yi.

It's obvious Oscar bait and the PC crowd is going to swoon over it, but it really is dull as hell.

I thought it was full of incident.  It's got a great performance and tons of violence and a crazy comic book villain and then a really bittersweet resolution.  It's got everything you'd want and a long take using practical effects.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 02:18:04 PM

Read the review and find out!

...Or not.  :( In sum, it doesn't really, because it's not a satire.  If it's a libel, it's an unconscious one; it thinks that it's bohemian and cute.

The result is a movie that can satisfy no one except people who really do think this fantasy of arrested development really is both true and cute.

It's bohemian and cute when a cute young chick does it. A dude does it, and he's a bum.

I think that's because older pervy guys are thinking, 'if she's that useless at fending for herself, I'd have a chance ... '  :lol:

Ideologue

Apparently exactly the case: as katmai informed me, and which I subsequently revised my review to include, the 43 year old director is fucking her.  Knowledge of this makes the movie more explicable and even worse.
Kinemalogue