News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

You talking shit about my weave?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

Saw The Desolation of Smaug. Approaching Star Wars prequel-level meaningless CGI wackiness.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

jimmy olsen

So, is the Arkenstone a Silmaril or what?

^^^ I thought the CGI was much less intrusive than in the first Hobbit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I'm now four episodes into Season 3 of Breaking Bad. Still very good.

What I noticed is that all major female characters, not only the wife, are self centered cunts. The wife, her sister, and Jesse's girlfriend in season 2. Gretchen escapes that a bit, but she hasn't been in the plot much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The single mom Jesse will start dating soon isn't that bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2013, 02:12:56 AM
Trying to watch Frances Ha without tearing my eyes out.  Failing.

Hey, dude, you wanna hear something cool?  For once, we agree.  This movie had to have been made by a 50 year old--the idea that there's a debit card which doesn't have credit card functionality and can't be used a restaurant, something not likely to be seen this side of the year 2000, is the tell.  But even if that weren't there, it'd be evident in every frame and every line.  This movie is like The Eternal Jew for Millennials.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

It's really, really terrible.  I don't even know if it was supposed to be funny. 

Also, "The Eternal Jew for Millenials" is fantastic.   :lmfao:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2013, 02:07:03 AM
It's really, really terrible.  I don't even know if it was supposed to be funny. 

Also, "The Eternal Jew for Millenials" is fantastic.   :lmfao:

It'll be the title of my full write-up, which I think this bothersome film deserves.

But, yeah, this thing's getting a Criterion release.  It's popular and well-received.  We'd better watch out, or we're gonna find ourselves on the way to Madagascar real soon.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 02:05:13 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2013, 02:12:56 AM
Trying to watch Frances Ha without tearing my eyes out.  Failing.

Hey, dude, you wanna hear something cool?  For once, we agree.  This movie had to have been made by a 50 year old--the idea that there's a debit card which doesn't have credit card functionality and can't be used a restaurant, something not likely to be seen this side of the year 2000, is the tell.  But even if that weren't there, it'd be evident in every frame and every line.  This movie is like The Eternal Jew for Millennials.

You have time to watch that but not whatever movie CDM is chiding you about not having seen this week? Tsk tsk.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I forget what he was chiding me about.  Was it a John Frankenheimer flick that wasn't on Instant Watch?

Black Sunday is on Instant Watch though.

Thing is I gotta watch RIPD, which is one of my discs out.  BLARGH.  Three shitty movies in one day, hooray!  (I also watched The Host today.  That movie is... less per se bad than it is intensely problematic.  I give it an R+ for being Rapetastic!)
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

the idea that there's a debit card which doesn't have credit card functionality and can't be used a restaurant, something not likely to be seen this side of the year 2000, is the tell.
I just read an article a week or two ago on how a shocking number of small buissnesses still opperate on a cash only basis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 02:13:29 AM
Three shitty movies in one day, hooray! 

During which you could've knocked out Reds instead.  :ebertfrowny:

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2013, 02:25:44 AM
the idea that there's a debit card which doesn't have credit card functionality and can't be used a restaurant, something not likely to be seen this side of the year 2000, is the tell.
I just read an article a week or two ago on how a shocking number of small buissnesses still opperate on a cash only basis.

Sure, if you count "meth franchise" as a small business.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 16, 2013, 02:25:44 AM

Small businesses don't want to be bothered with paying merchant fees per transaction or the obnoxious cost for the rental of credit card equipment.  They're small businesses, you know.