And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on December 18, 2013, 08:50:31 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2013, 07:16:51 AM
Beats reviewing The Desolation of Smaug.
I enjoyed that film.  It felt like an adventure without being too much of an action film.

I actually kind of, sort of, want to see it, for Smaug.  There's that one trailer where the framing of the dragon is just, like, perfect.

However, you can blame Korea for my antipathy toward all things LotR.  I saw all the Rings movies in the theater.  I thought they were all reasonably pleasant, highly imaginiative, and very well-made, if always maybe a little dull and anticlimactic.  But six and a half years of constantly listening to that shit in the background and with her taking it as a personal affront whenever I made a joke about something she liked killed any fondness I might have still had for the series, and between that and Return of the King's fifty endings, I no longer have the desire to ever experience another Tolkien tale in any medium.  Especially not a nine to ten hour, heavily padded trilogy adapted from a Tolkien tale that wouldn't take that long to read.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Sounds good
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112671

QuoteOn the heel's of today's news that Warner Bros. is eyeing Joaquin Phoenix for a major role in Zack Snyder's upcoming Batman vs. Superman comes word, via The Hollywood Reporter, that Academy Award winning screenwriter Chris Terrio (Argo) has been brought in to rewrite David Goyer's screenplay in advance of next year's production.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Oh my God, how was Pushing Daises cancelled?  What the fuck is wrong with this country?  It's so fucking good!
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

The Crow is on. Don't ever do a movie that involves you getting shot. It's bad juju.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

So Best Buy has Oliver and Company on BD but not Tangled?  That's so fucked up.

Instead I blew a wad and got Scrooged, Evil Dead, Children of Men, and Hellraiser for an average of like nine bucks apiece.  Merry Christmas!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2013, 11:26:03 PM
Instead I blew a wad and got Scrooged, Evil Dead, Children of Men, and Hellraiser for an average of like nine bucks apiece.  Merry Christmas!

Do you get some sort of thrill for paying too much for movies?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

By what metric are you arguing that's too much?  Do you hate the free market?  (They're BDs, so actually the prices are very competitive.  In any event, about a buck and a half cheaper than what I would've paid at Amazon for the same kaboodle.  And since I pay my taxes unlike the rest of you traitors, that's a real buck and a half, not "a buck and as weighed against the wages of crime.")

Edit: of course, what I meant was, I like to treat myself. :)
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Has anyone seen the bridge, the tunnel and/or the American one?
I'm thinking of trying one but no clue which....  Normally I'm a purist but... Americans have better production values and Brits more of a real feel...
I don't normally like cop shows too much though.....
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

I saw the 1935 film The Tunnel.  I lavished the praise demanded by a work of such salutary value for our two nations' young people. :)
Kinemalogue

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

RIPD- fun movie. Not quite up to Ghostbusters or Men in Black levels, but pretty enjoyable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

We're the Millers- pretty funny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Elysium. Fucking Stupid.

Rating:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

American virgin- hello unfunny 10 years too late attempt to cash in on American pie

Puff puff pass- quasi amusing stoner comedy starring two guys who I sort if recognize but couldn't place why. I think the black dude is the one off scrubs?... Maybe?... The white guy I've no idea where I know him from.
And yes, it is easy to check, but meh

Hey, it's what YouTube gave me
██████
██████
██████