News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 06:32:32 AM
And if Money watched it, his Goddamned head would explode.

QuoteFrances wants so much more than she has but lives her life with unaccountable joy and lightness.

"Mmm, yes."

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 02:31:33 AM
Maybe that's an NYC thing.  You can go anywhere in Columbia with a debit card and pay.  Even bullshit hipster places--used book store, comic book store, upscale eatery, downscale bar.  Hell, you can pay with a debit card at the DMV.  It rings false to me, but perhaps it's just I don't live in the, er, hub of civilization. :unsure:

It happens in many American cities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

In Korea the debit card is king, credit cards are more rare and far more punishing debt wise to use than in the U.S.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2013, 08:22:13 AM
Maybe that's an NYC thing.  You can go anywhere in Columbia with a debit card and pay.  Even bullshit hipster places--used book store, comic book store, upscale eatery, downscale bar.  Hell, you can pay with a debit card at the DMV.  It rings false to me, but perhaps it's just I don't live in the, er, hub of civilization. :unsure:

Anyway, the question is more, since the restaurant does take credit cards, why does she have a PIN-only debit card?  And if so, why doesn't she know that?  It's a stupid part of a stupid movie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

It's because your system is stupid or the movie maker simply set is movie in the wrong country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 09:42:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2013, 08:22:13 AM

Anyway, the question is more, since the restaurant does take credit cards, why does she have a PIN-only debit card?  And if so, why doesn't she know that?  It's a stupid part of a stupid movie.

I think it is possible to have happen. But I can't speak to the film, as I haven't seen it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Here debit cards cost the merchant less than credit cards.  There are a lot of places here that take only cash or debit.  Some places that do offer payment by credit card have small signs asking their customers to consider paying with debit or cash.  All of the small places where I eat lunch take cash only.

Ideologue

So what I'm hearing is it's actually less convenient to live in your affluent urban cores than it is in Hickton, USA.  Cool. :D

Edit: I'm also hearing that this is not something that should have taken a 27 year old long-term resident of NYC unawares.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 10:31:30 AM
Edit: I'm also hearing that this is not something that should have taken a 27 year old long-term resident of NYC unawares.

What exactly happens in this scene?

Also, I find it very easy to avoid places that don't take card / it isn't very hard to get a hold of cash - even if you are finicky and have to use your own bank's atm to avoid fees.

Capetan Mihali

So what I'm hearing is it's actually less convenient to live in your affluent urban cores than it is in Hickton, USA.  Cool. :D

canuck is saying the opposite, though...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Frances gets a tax refund (this is presented as something of a surprise, like winning the lottery, and not something she knew was coming--and she also gets it in the actual mail like some kind of caveperson--but that's neither here nor there).

She calls this guy she knows that wears v-necks with Cosmo Kramer's coat, and invites him to dinner.  Her treat!  At the end of the meal is told her card doesn't work because they "only accept cash or credit cards."

If her debit card is like most debit cards, it works as a credit card due to Visa or Mastercard functionality.  This is, incidentally, what I mean by almost everywhere accepting debit cards.

However, she could have a PIN-only debit card, which do exist although they're pretty rare.  But if she does, she knows that she needs to be aware that many places don't have set-ups that permit direct linking to her bank, and so she would choose a restaurant she knew took her debit card, or she would at least not fail to inquire before looking foolish in front of someone.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 16, 2013, 10:55:25 AM

canuck is saying the opposite, though...

Well, it's also inconvenient if they don't take credit cards.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 10:56:58 AM
Frances gets a tax refund (this is presented as something of a surprise, like winning the lottery, and not something she knew was coming--and she also gets it in the actual mail like some kind of caveperson--but that's neither here nor there).

She calls this guy she knows that wears v-necks with Cosmo Kramer's coat, and invites him to dinner.  Her treat!  At the end of the meal is told her card doesn't work because they "only accept cash or credit cards."

If her debit card is like most debit cards, it works as a credit card due to Visa or Mastercard functionality.  This is, incidentally, what I mean by almost everywhere accepting debit cards.

However, she could have a PIN-only debit card, which do exist although they're pretty rare.  But if she does, she knows that she needs to be aware that many places don't have set-ups that permit direct linking to her bank, and so she would choose a restaurant she knew took her debit card, or she would at least not fail to inquire before looking foolish in front of someone.

Oh no, I could see that she might not remember. I often don't have cash on me when I've been hoodwinked into going to a cash only place. Though poor form for a date.

Ideologue

Exactly, she wasn't dragooned into going to some random place.  She made the plans; thus, she is irresponsible yet again, absent-minded bordering on downright negligent.  In forms both subtle and gross, this movie truly does hate our generation.
Kinemalogue

katmai

You do know who wrote the film?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son