News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Lethal Weapon 6. If blackface is offensive, what is blackbody? It works on all the levels, from DeVito's zombie chief to Olson's southern accent and through the homoeroticism.

A
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on November 01, 2013, 08:11:13 PM
Lethal Weapon 6. If blackface is offensive, what is blackbody? It works on all the levels, from DeVito's zombie chief to Olson's southern accent and through the homoeroticism.

A
Blackbody is also offensive, Scandiweenie, though Always Sunny gets a pass...particularly when they including buttshots for the ladies. :perv:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I saw About Time tonight.  I had wanted to see it but wasn't so enthused on how the movie would actually be.  Found it actually to be pretty endearing and most of the house ended up in tears.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I bet the time travel is crap but I won't notice till a second viewing.  It seems to be the way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Oh the time travel is crappy [spoiler](rules don't really make sense beyond a hand wavey well we haven't yet caused a time paradox but later there is a firm rule introduced)[/spoiler] but I think key in watching the movie is just to just accept that premise and move on. Beyond that I like it as things end rather [spoiler]hopeful rather than some sort of sacrifice that I expected from the trailers[/spoiler].

Also, I hope you are able to notice how crappy the time travel is on the first viewing. :P

Josephus

The Reluctant Fundamentalist. C+ Read the book instead.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Pretty good stuff, honestly. Less abstruse than the first one, and also less pedestrian.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Kleves

Ender's Game. Pretty good, though I dislike the coda (which is faithful to the book).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Some early 90s WWF wrestling tapes on YouTube. It's cheesy as fuck, but Bobby Heenan is a god on the microphone. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

The Little American (1917)

Cecil B. DeMille directs this wonderful propaganda film, made shortly after America's entry in the First World War.  Mary Pickford is the titular Little American who is pursued by both a German (Karl) and Frenchman (Jules) in 1914.  War breaks out and both return to serve in their nations armies.  Mary Pickford's French uncle dies and she sets sail for the old world.  Her boat is sunk by the Germans; there's a great cross cut scene where the German's load their torpedoes while the ship passengers attend a dance party.  Anyhow Mary Pickford had the foresight to stuff an American flag into the bosom of her dress so that when she's eventually rescued everyone realizes she is an American.

By sheer grit Mary make's it to her aunt's house only to find that her aunt is dead and that she is now the mistress of the house.  The French use her house as a hospital, but then evacuate the front leaving her and the wounded soldiers to fend for themselves.  The German's take over the house and the film takes on the over the top quality that only Cecil B. DeMille could deliver.  They break into the wine cellar and down the whole thing, then they raid the larder, rape the women (off screen), burn the furniture, dance jigs on the table, destroy all the artwork and vandalize everything else.  They just don't make movie villains like the Germans anymore.

Karl (who was in the company) tries to rape Mary; but recognizes her and stops.  She forgives him and eventually true love wins in the end, with some help from the artillery.

Mary Pickford and Cecil B. DeMille didn't work together well (hardly a surprise given that they were both egomaniacs.)  Cecil only has a couple scenes that are all out and Mary never gets the chance to clown around.  It ends up not being near as good as the films they made on their own.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on November 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM
there's a great cross cut scene where the German's load their torpedoes while the ship passengers attend a dance party.

omg so hawt

QuoteThey just don't make movie villains like the Germans anymore.

:lol:

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on November 02, 2013, 09:30:33 AM
Ender's Game. Pretty good, though I dislike the coda (which is faithful to the book).

Is "Formic" the new hate term for gays?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2013, 05:38:13 PM
Huh. I was a solid 'c' student in High School. Thanks a fucking lot Ide.

I'm not sure if Ide is good judge of what it takes to be successful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Watched All the Pretty Girls last night.  Dude kidnaps attractive women, ocaisonally murders them.  Morgan Freeman hunts him down with the help of Ashley Judd, a doctor who was kidnapped but escaped.

This is arguably Freeman's best acting work, but the story line is not all that interesting.  The interaction between the kidnapper and his victims is not all that creepy, and they kept it pretty PG13. 

Ashley Judd is kind of interesting as an actress.  Good looking, but not enough to get the glamorpuss roles; decent actress, but not good enough to get the real heavyweight roles.

Ed Anger

Her sister is the real heavy weight. Hyuk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive