Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on May 06, 2013, 09:32:41 AM

P.S.

Things katmai likes:

Shitty superhero movies that ruin the source material with their aborted attempts at cleverness and, worse, aren't particularly good as movies either.
Undercooked prequel films put together by mining ancient Americana.
Silly 90s Goth bullshit.

Things katmai dislikes:

Fun movies that deploy some seriously inventive technique in ways that serve their coherent, fully realized characters and stories.

Dipshit,

I haven't even seen Iron Man 3 so can't comment on your review one iota, i'm commenting on the Days of Thunder review, which shows you have shit taste.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

The establishment of shit movie taste is quite easy.

What do you think of Traffic & Mulholland Dr?

If you answer anything else than : #1 & #2 worse movie you have ever seen, you have shit taste.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

1 Kinda boring, certainly not the worst movie I've ever seen
2 Extremely wank-worthy, otherwise, not as weird/memorable as typical Lynch

Worst movies I've ever seen would probably have to be Failure to Launch and Catwoman. Worst movie that anybody thinks is actually good would be Breakfast Club. Worst movie to win Best Picture since the 40s would be Crash.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on May 06, 2013, 09:32:41 AM
I'd actually like to get into a spoilery discussion of why Iron Man 3 bothered me so much.  [spoiler]In case you didn't get it, it's because they decided that Iron Man's greatest villain, the Mandarin, was better served as a joke.  Also because the "twist" with Pepper Potts dying, even with suspension of disbelief in overdrive mode, is likely to be convincing only to head trauma victims and small animals.  Finally, when the mass-production of Iron Man suits becomes a possibility, or even an inevitability--and this is a problem inherent in the material--the concept breaks, even if Tony Stark remains interesting, because Iron Man as a comic or a film series is constrained by outside factors and can never pass through to the next level, and create the full-on science fiction future all Iron Man stories are prologue to.  Kleves had it right without going into it very much that it is a really stupid movie, but more than that--to paraphrase Roger Ebert--it's stupid in the way it goes about being stupid, and that's a pretty serious flaw.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't care about Iron Man's comic background, so turning his greatest (comic) villain into a joke didn't bother me.  It helped that Ben Kingsley was awesome both as the badass and the degenerate.  I agree Pepper Potts "dying" was about as obvious a fakeout as I've ever seen, but it was redeemed by her not just surviving but kicking the bad guy's ass.  Finally, the suits weren't mass produced but from a period of fevered creativity by Stark.  Many of them weren't particularly good, being various test versions that served as mere distraction rather than being effective.[/spoiler]

I actually had problems with Iron Man 3, but my complaints were quite different and didn't necessarily detract from being a good popcorn flick (it helped I got to see it for free).

[spoiler]I thought the suit was meant to be a reasonably clever piece of design, although conceivably recreatable.  The real key was the light weight and powerful power source embedded in Stark's chest that makes it all possible.  Why did his experimental suit keep losing power despite being connected to Stark (and his fully operational power source) at the time?  Further, what was the bad guy's ultimate goal? Was he just trying to hide why these mysterious "explosions" were occurring?  It seems like a plot to take over the presidency is a bit extreme for just that.[/spoiler]

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2013, 10:22:09 AM
The establishment of shit movie taste is quite easy.

What do you think of Traffic & Mulholland Dr?

If you answer anything else than : #1 & #2 worse movie you have ever seen, you have shit taste.

I dunno, man...Ninja 3: The Domination and Charles Bronson's Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects were pretty bad.
You can make your strong arguments about Traffic and Mulholland Dr being bad all you like, but at least they didn't have fucking boom mikes in scenes.   :lol:

And for obvious esoteric reasons I don't feel need explaining, Mulholland Dr gets a certain pass from me.

Eddie Teach

How could a movie with Charles Bronson be bad?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Because he almost got brained by the boom mike, as alluded to in my post.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 10:10:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2013, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 09:49:59 AM
Days of Thunder C-

This I can agree with. Boring and forgettable.

Top Gun has a "more nuanced message" anyway.

It had F-14's and F-5E/F's. Gets a pass to a degree.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 11:24:54 AM
It had F-14's and F-5E's. Gets a pass to a degree.

Fuck those shitty F-5Es.  It had Michael Ironside in an A-4.  That's trumps all that Northrop export bait.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 11:29:51 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 11:24:54 AM
It had F-14's and F-5E's. Gets a pass to a degree.

.  It had Michael Ironside in an A-4.  That's trumps all that Northrop export bait.

You smoking crack. F-5 was a great fighter aircraft.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 11:38:19 AM

A-4 trumps F-5 any day of the week.  I have spoken.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 11:39:42 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 11:38:19 AM

A-4 trumps F-5 any day of the week.  I have spoken.

A-4

F-5

:moon:

Eddie Teach

So neither was the hottest bird around then.