News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watched a tiny bit of The Amazing Spider Man.  Terribly miscast lead.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2013, 04:27:39 PM

Really? I thought he was marginally better than Shia or Toby or Elijah or whatever FLOM did the franchise series;  I felt he had the Peter Parker wisecracking motif down better.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 04:33:08 PM
Really? I thought he was marginally better than Shia or Toby or Elijah or whatever FLOM did the franchise series;  I felt he had the Peter Parker wisecracking motif down better.

I thought he would start stabbing the shit out of some lady in a motel shower any second.

Eddie Teach

I'm not familiar with the Peter Parker of the comics, but Maguire's casting fit in well with the character as written in the movies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Oh, last night I was flipping through channels and found myself thinking that Yi was right, Rachel McAdams has really lost something. Then I realized I was looking at Jennifer Garner.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2013, 04:36:00 PM
I'm not familiar with the Peter Parker of the comics, but Maguire's casting fit in well with the character as written in the movies.

THEN YOU JUST DONT KNOW THE CANON MAN

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 12:58:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2013, 12:32:45 PM
Random Hearts.  The worst.
You're just saying that to agitate me.  It won't work.
I'm just saying, you shouldn't sneer at Ide.  Everybody likes some things that totally fucking suck.  Some things that are the worst things ever put to film.  Some things that take every rule about pacing and maintaining the interest of the audience, and gleefully defy them in the name of proving that Harrison Ford's time as a leading man was over.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2013, 04:27:39 PM
Yeah, he could crack wise, but any scene where he wasn't wearing a mask?  It was like watching Michael Cera try and stammer his way through the impersonation of a human being.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Whenever Seedy gets to sassy about a matter of taste I just play the Tiny Dancer card.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 10:10:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2013, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 09:49:59 AM
Days of Thunder C-

This I can agree with. Boring and forgettable.

Top Gun has a "more nuanced message" anyway.

Aw, you do read them. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2013, 10:22:09 AM
The establishment of shit movie taste is quite easy.

What do you think of Traffic & Mulholland Dr?

If you answer anything else than : #1 & #2 worse movie you have ever seen, you have shit taste.

LOL, Fox, you're a good guy, but I'm guessing the number of movies you've seen is roughly "a dozen" if Traffic and Mulholland Drive* are the worst you've ever seen.

Try Battle Royale II: Requiem, for example, or After Last Season, or, hell, Batman and Robin, and tell me it's better than any Steven Soderbergh movie.  Though at least if you'd said The Girlfriend Experience, I could get on board somewhat.  What you think that movie will be and what that movie is a gulf too great for most to bridge, and even if you do bridge it, it still pretty much sucks out loud.  Actually, extremely quietly.  What garbage.

Also, Traffic: is actually pretty damned good.  Aish if I recall.  It's an unbeatable market force, man.

*David Lynch is largely unfamiliar to me, unfortunately.  Iirc, the only Lynch movies I've ever seen are The Elephant Man (which was great) and Dune (about on par with Oz, worth watching once but not very good).  One of these days I'll get around to correcting this omission.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I went to the theater to see Traffic, and the sound didn't work for the first half the of movie.  Is it better when the sound works properly?  I only had a vague idea what was going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2013, 07:01:30 PM
I went to the theater to see Traffic, and the sound didn't work for the first half the of movie.  Is it better when the sound works properly?  I only had a vague idea what was going on.

It's a weak movie.  Benicio was good but the rest of the flick was pretty flat.

Razgovory

Now that I think about it, it does seem odd that I sat through a movie where the first half sounded like a phone modem connection.  I remember contacting the staff and they said it was suppose to be like that, so I thought the movie just wasn't very good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2013, 06:44:18 PM
Whenever Seedy gets to sassy about a matter of taste I just play the Tiny Dancer card.

Your hip inside references known only to you frighten and confuse me.  Is that a crack at Cameron Crowe movies?  WKRP in Cincinnati?  Asian chicks?